• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Notification Subject Content: Less Noise, More Efficient

There seems to be an appetite for change at EE (e.g. user profile, topic edits, etc. the list goes on)

But very few of those changes have really made my use of EE more efficient.

So I’m suggesting something that would help me. Improve the notifications.

I subscribe to get question alerts and other notifications. Note: subscribe. I asked for it. I want it already. You do not need to be polite in the subject, it does not need to comply with some marketing gumpff about localization, personalization or even “Communication Theory 101”. Give it to me straight-up. Plain. Simple. To the point. Blunt and Brief.

Also, before anyone gets a chance to state that a subject line should be a sentence; that is irrelevant for the notifications. I’m not conversing with people in these emails. I receive them from a robot and use them briefly as data that is soon deleted. What I need is the data, not grammatical correctness or robotic politeness.

Here is a simulated set of notifications
(AS IS)
From                Subject
Experts Exchange    Question alert: Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data
Experts Exchange    An Expert Comment has been posted: Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data
Experts Exchange    An Author Comment has been posted: Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data
Experts Exchange    A question you participated in will be closed in four days
Experts Exchange    An Administrative Comment has been posted: Attention: Q_28969165
Experts Exchange    Close request objection posted: Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data
Experts Exchange    Good Answer! Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data
Experts Exchange    Good Assist! Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data
Experts Exchange    Help resolve this question.
Experts Exchange    Your article has been used in a solution
Experts Exchange    Group Discussion Digest
Experts Exchange    You have received 16 endorsements last week!
Experts Exchange    You've Received a new Message
Experts Exchange    <<member>> has requested your help
Experts Exchange    Member Comment Added

Open in new window

Here is what I suggest for an equivalent set of notifications
(TO BE)
From                       Subject
EE Question Alert          Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Expert Comment          Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Author Comment          Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Question Autoclose      Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Administrative Comment  Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE objection posted        Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Good Answer             Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Good Assist             Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Article Used            Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Help Resolve            Getting SQL Rows for Flight Data: Q_28969165
EE Group Digest            4 Group Discussions
EE Endorsements            16 endorsements last week!
EE Message                 <<user>> Sent a Message
EE Live Request            <<user>> Requesting LIVE Help!
EE Member Comment          <<user>> Member Comment Added

Open in new window

Cunningly you will see I have moved the annoying “constants” like “Question Alert” into different email senders so I can still easily build email rules (in fact making rules easier & more reliable) and the Subject concentrates on the “question title” or true subject matter.

A trailing number is suggested so that questions with the same or similar titles can be differentiated.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (71)

Expert Comment

Sina May2016-11-14 07:16 AMID: 1949171
To follow-up on Paul's comment, these emails will be using "noreply@experts-exchange.com" as the sender email.

I've updated the proposed email subject lines spreadsheet to show the most recent changes made. They have been highlighted in green to make them easier to find. The Close Request Objection email will be receiving an additional update after Rob pointed out a possible improvement (and is why this row is yellow).

I'll be updating this each week.

Author Comment

PortletPaul2016-11-18 06:07 PMID: 1950741
A new set of email header changes are coming Nov 21 with the 2 most common affecting this audience (I believe) being:

SUBJECT: Help Answer: How do I XYZ?

SUBJECT: Expert Comment: How do I XYZ?

Your email rules may need change

they are still being sent from the email address: noreply@experts-exchange.com

Expert Comment

I have to say, I really dislike this change and don't see the advantage to it as implemented.

What happened to having "EE" on the front of the from?   I can no longer group EE messages together in my in-box when sorted by the "From", and different types of posts on the same question are still separated as they were in the past.   I thought the intent of this was to be able to group different types of comments for the same question together?

From what I'm seeing here, this gained us nothing and EE is now totally different than the norm of what I get from every other e-mail source.

Jim.

Author Comment

PortletPaul2016-11-25 01:19 PMID: 1952040
Regrettably that objective, to be able to sort items together plus communicate more effectively was not understood by those who implemented it.

I did try to get the message understood but clearly I failed to do that.

Personaĺly I'm disappointed in the outcome. Although the from does now have some meaning there are now 2 sets of words to describe the same thing. So there is more noise (and redundancy) plus the loss of sorting that I  was aiming for.

The core issue was the inabilty to accept that email could be sent without the full term "experts exchange" in the from field.

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2016-11-26 10:32 AMID: 1952137
... these emails will be using "noreply@experts-exchange.com" as the sender email.
... this gained us nothing and EE is now totally different than the norm ...
Sigh.

I believe that E-E can send its emails from the address noreply@experts-exchange.com, and can vary the sender name on a message-by-message basis.  Here is how you would do that in PHP (perhaps someone can help translate this to E-E's preferred programming language, according the the RFC).
<?php // demo/temp_email.php
/**
 * https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/217950/Notification-Subject-Content-Less-Noise-More-Efficient.html
 */
error_reporting(E_ALL);

$to = 'Ray.Paseur@Gmail.com';
$sb = 'E-E Test Email From No Reply';
$ms = 'This message is from "No Reply" ';
$fr = 'From: No Reply <noreply@iconoun.com>' . "\r\n";
mail ($to, $sb, $ms, $fr);

sleep(1);

$sb = 'E-E Test Email From Ray';
$ms = 'This message is from "Ray" ';
$fr = 'From: Ray Paseur <noreply@iconoun.com>' . "\r\n";
mail ($to, $sb, $ms, $fr);

Open in new window

This screen capture shows how the messages appear in the GMail inbox summary.  I have not tried to apply automation to sort these messages, but it doesn't look too hard.
Email Inbox Showing Two Messages from the Same Address, with Different Sender Names

Expert Comment

<<I believe that E-E can send its emails from the address noreply@experts-exchange.com, and can vary the sender name on a message-by-message basis.  >>

They can and did....but the way it's formatted, nothing has changed.  In fact we've taken a step back.

You still can't group comments that apply to a single question, and now you can't even group all the EE e-mails together in an inbox.   Plus the "From" is now very long, with "Experts Exchange" at the end. That's going to go over big with the mobile users.

Jim.