• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Prank

OK, I don't want to post this in the lounge, I don't want the world (or work) to know.

But I am interested in lightening the mood here at work (new job) and want to pull a classy subtle prank.  Any Ideas?? (please note, it is in fun and I don't want to be fired).  Target would be my boss or maybe the whole office.  Some coworkers maybe also :)

Example,
Once, I had a co-worker who left his keys on his desk.  Over a several months, I added random keys to his key ring until his keys were huge!

Hilarious, but not acceptable :)     (my all time fav)
A High school prank, release pigs into the school.  That was not the prank, the prank was labeling them, One, Two, and Four.  They spent days looking for number three!
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (28)

Expert Comment

BillDL2016-10-21 11:58 PMID: 1944492
Hey speed, I did much the same thing once.  I put "Out Of Order" signs on two of the three toilet cubicles, locked them all from the inside, and put a remote-controlled battery operated fart machine inside the only "usable" one.  A driver who used to do a 6 hour drive up to our premises twice a week always used to be bursting to use the toilet when he arrived.  His antics were comical as he paced about the cloakroom outside waiting for the phantom guy with terribly loose bowels to finish up in the only available toilet.  From a personal viewpoint, I would dread having to follow such a noisy (and potentially messy and smelly) guy into a toilet and would probably try and wait until the air had cleared, but the poor driver was absolutely desperate and would probably have sat on the hand basin had I not revealed the prank.

I also took Thibault's air horn idea to another level.  I used to use a gas heat gun to apply thick shrink wrap to the outside of stillage cages and crates of engineering components destined for sea freight.  The heat gun had an electronic igniter connected to the handle to safely light the gas, just like a massive cigarette lighter, and it packed a hefty zap if you were stupid enough to put your hand near it.  I put strips of tinfoil under the handles of the store manager's chair, connected them to the igniter, and strapped the igniter to the chair so that it would be clicked as the chair bore his weight.  It was hilarious, and was quickly followed by other moments of mirth after his tender feet began to encounter the little bits of sharp metal swarf I had sprinkled into his rigger boots.

Pranks can sometimes go too far though.

Expert Comment

If someone has two telephones on their desk it can be fun just swapping the two handsets over. One phone rings, you notice that the handsets are exchanged so you cleverly pick up the other one. Because the 'wrong' handset is still on the ringing phone it continues to ring. Mild panic begins to set in, you could lose the call. You replace the handset on the wrong phone and pick up the other. Now the phone stops ringing but you can't hear or speak to the caller, and now you know that they've heard you answer the call so they might hang up. You quickly grab the other handset as well, holding one in each hand, but aware that they are in the wrong hands and unable to put either one down you cross your arms, hold one handset to each ear and hold the entire conversation like that as you cannot concentrate enough to be sure to replace the correct handset and not cut off the call.
It's fun to watch.

Another simple addition to this is to put a bit of clear sticky tape under the handset to hold the switch down so even when the handset is lifted from the ringing phone it doesn't stop ringing.

Expert Comment

Mohammed Hamada2016-10-22 01:14 PMID: 1944559
In my office we usually do this to eachother (Colleagues and even Managers including the CEO)

If someone leaves their computer open (Non Locked) we go to their outlook and send a message to the whole company (over 100 person) saying that there's a cake and drinks and everyone is welcome...

LOL this is used a lot by our security team to teach a lesson to all the users to let everyone never leave their computers open or phones too.

I guess if you had such a chance then you could simply do it.
Good luck

Expert Comment

BillDL2016-10-23 03:54 AMID: 1944588
Yes, the last time one particular employee left a workstation unlocked with his Facebook profile open (a thing that is discouraged) and went to the toilet, we posted a new message that appeared to have come from him and then logged him off:

"Dear friends.  There comes a time in everybody's life that they need to make an important announcement.  The time has come for me to do so.  I have struggled my whole life with my sexuality and I have decided that I am not going to keep on hiding this secret.  I am gay and I am proud to be gay.  I hope that this revelation will not change anything with our lifelong friendships.  I am sorry if it seems as though I have deceived you all these years".

It was 2am, but his mobile started ringing immediately with friends at the other end assuring him that nothing in their friendships would change.  He was puzzled at first until he realised what we had done.

Expert Comment

Mohammed Hamada2016-10-23 04:10 AMID: 1944592
ahahahaha .. I really laughed a lot about it. thanks for the laugh Bill..

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2016-10-24 04:15 AMID: 1944685
A High school prank, release pigs into the school.  That was not the prank, the prank was labeling them, One, Two, and Four.  They spent days looking for number three!

This is so funny and so cleverly thought out. What a twist. A master piece.

/gustav