• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Neglected Questions Notification - Overload?

I like the neglected question's idea in principle but getting 30+ notifications about them daily is a bit much. What has ended up happening is I've decided that it's too much noise so I've turned it off. I suspect others are having a similar experience. Would it make sense to have a different method for tracking such things? I use my notifications regularly to monitor active discussions. This just clutters things up and ultimately doesn't work since it's now turned off.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (19)

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2016-10-21 06:09 AMID: 1944364
+1 . i disabled these notifications ages ago for the same reason

a per-topic digest could be an interesting idea. it could work with minimal intelligence so the same threads might appear in multiple digests so we only need to focus on the last received one. obviously explicit objects that can be handled by simple filters on the subject would help.

it might also be useful to have a webui that compiles the current list of abandoned questions in real time so we can just have a look whenever we have time to spare

Expert Comment

rindi2016-10-21 07:40 AMID: 1944382
You don't have to look at all the questions. If the subject looks irrelevant just go to the next one.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2016-10-21 08:25 AMID: 1944385
the problem arises for folks like me who sometimes don't have time to spend on the threads for months and end up with tens of thousands of emails...

Expert Comment

I separate them using outlook rules

Expert Comment

Sina May2016-12-22 10:42 AMID: 1957688
Hi everyone,

On Monday we released a site update that will allow you to control what kinds of notifications you receive (email or on-site under the bell).

You should be able to update your Designated Expert topics, and what kinds of alerts you receive from here. We also tried to make the designated topic list easier to review and edit.

In addition to the Designated Expert controls, you can also specify your preferences for most of the other emails we send.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Expert Comment

@Sina

Very good, I like it!

Merry Chrimbles....

Andy