• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Proposed topics

You may have seen this happening more often over the past couple weeks...that's right, you can propose topics when asking new questions.

How do they become official?  There is a voting process for those who have reached Level 5 (50,000 points).

https://www.experts-exchange.com/proposedTopics.jsp

Check it out!
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (35)

Expert Comment

Rich Weissler2017-02-15 01:54 PMID: 1971418
Looks like most of the new topics created have been vendor paid for topics.

Is there any criteria for the number of votes needed for a proposed topic to come off the list?

Author Comment

Kyle Santos2017-02-15 02:05 PMID: 1971426
Yes, there is criteria.

Votes have a threshold they need to meet for proposed topics to become official, rejected or synonyms.  The threshold is 25 votes.

For example, lets say Experts Exchange was a proposed topic.   If the proposed topic has 25 green votes, 5 red votes and 0 synonym votes, then we would need at least 5 more green votes (30 green votes) for the proposed topic to become official.

Expert Comment

Rich Weissler2017-02-15 02:09 PMID: 1971432
Excellent.  Thank you.
Okay folks, get out there and vote.  The more votes collected, the better chance that list has of getting cleared.  (Well, except for contentious topics, like "SQL".  :-) )

Expert Comment

mlmcc2017-02-15 06:57 PMID: 1971461
At what point do you delete a topic from the list?

minimal votes in 30 days?

mlmcc

Expert Comment

rindi2017-02-16 01:44 AMID: 1971506
They shouldn't just be deleted from the list, but rather prevented from ever showing up again. Most of those suggested topics are just total crap and useless, they confuse more than they help.

Author Comment

Kyle Santos2017-02-16 08:10 AMID: 1971660
@mlmcc
Personally, I just look at the usage and how old it is, and if it has a lot of red (no) votes.  Then I trash can (reject) them.  eg Samsung (A topic I proposed.)

iirc, topics that are rejected cannot be re-proposed for 6 months.

@rindi
Most of those suggested topics are just total crap and useless, they confuse more than they help.
Right.  In the meantime, we will do our best to modify or trash can proposed topics if they make no sense.
In addition to this, if you feel there is one that is causing confusion, and hasn't been addressed by the moderators yet, then message Rob or myself on how we can improve this experience.