• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Advanced Search returns irrelevant questions

I noticed it before, and again today: when I do a search in EE's questions, on multiple terms, ordered by relevance, I get a useless list of questions. When I hit Advanced Search, I see that all terms are mentioned, with Include All Terms in Any Part, ordered by Relevance. Executing the Advanced Search leads to the same useless results.

Do I have to say that a query in Google on site:www.exp... and the terms gives me much better results?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (11)

Expert Comment

rindi2016-11-23 08:23 AMID: 1951694
Many askers post their Questions using useless titles, and titles are usually what gets searched first. So one main reason for getting useless search results is because of that.

Author Comment

Sjef Bosman2016-11-23 08:38 AMID: 1951696
Not such a very useful remark, if I may say so... Did you see that Google does a lot better?

Expert Comment

rindi2016-11-23 08:57 AMID: 1951701
Google is so much bigger, there chances are that one or the other titles used by the asker are more useful so your search will also find those. EE's problem is to get the askers to formulate the titles of their Questions so they are useful. For example, there are so many Askers who just use "Active Directory" as their title. Or "Please Help" is another such example. Those titles are less than useless. We must try to get Askers to properly describe their problems within the Question title, and once that has happened I'm sure searches will also be a lot better.

Author Comment

Sjef Bosman2016-11-23 09:15 AMID: 1951703
The pragmatic thing to do would be to change the search algorithm...

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2016-11-26 08:50 AMID: 1952134
The pragmatic thing to do would be to change the search algorithm...
Been promoting this idea FOR YEARS, and nobody seems to "get it" about how a technology site should deploy the right technology!  It's almost a sidebar satire, but the Suggested Solutions are also far, far wide of the mark.

Wonder how StackOverflow manages to get their search to work correctly?

Thanks for doing the research for E-E, Sjef!

Author Comment

Sjef Bosman2016-11-26 09:04 AMID: 1952135
Wonder how StackOverflow manages to get their search to work correctly?
Maybe they don't suffer from the not-invented-here syndrome, and acquired some quality search algorithm/engine elsewhere?