• England,
  • United Kingdom

Top Contributors

vCenter Server 5.5 migration to VCSA 6

Has anyone used the migration tool that was recently posted this past September? I have always done it using various powershell scripts I modified or written from scratch to do the job. It still requires a bit of manual intervention. I've finished upgrading my lab and will be starting my production environment. Unfortunately I don't have the time to go back and restore the lab to 5.5 running on Windows to test this out.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (8)

Expert Comment

It's the same with all VMware vCenter Server upgrades where Windows is involved!

Expert Comment

Luciano Patrão2016-11-29 12:43 PMID: 1952551
Hi,

I use untill now for 2 times, no issues found.

Some minir issues with the domain, but was issues in Trust domain/subdomain, not related to the tool it self.

We had one huge vCenter in 5.1 that tried to upgrade to 5.5 to migrate to 6, but was not possible because of corrupt certificates. Was not possible to recrete them, so the solution was to mugrate from 5.1 to 6.0 manually.  We scritp what was possible, the rest was manually.

Jail

Author Comment

James L Machie Jr2016-11-29 01:02 PMID: 1952554
How big is your environment that you used the migration tool?

Expert Comment

Various from 10 hosts, 200 VMs to 876 hosts, and 12,678 VMs

Expert Comment

Luciano Patrão2016-11-29 01:20 PMID: 1952562
Hi

The ones I use the tool was around 50 hosts and more than 1000 VMs.

The one was not possible to use the tool was around 300 hosts and around 6000 VMs.

But wilth lot of networks, some isolated with hight security ones that was  tricky to move the hosts ans the networks. I am pretty sure that was not possible to use the migration tool here because of firewall restrictions.

Jail

Author Comment

James L Machie Jr2017-02-20 07:11 AMID: 1972539
I ended up doing a manual migration of my vCenter 5.5 running on Windows to VCSA 6 update 2a. I wrote some powershell scripts for parts of it but I installed the external PSC's and VCSA's manually at each site. I think moving forward it will be a lot easier to do upgrades since my environment is now running with VCSA's and external PSC's instead of Windows and a separate MS SQL server :)