• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Who Accepted My Comment As The Solution?

I mentioned in the previous discussion entitled "Self signing points abuse" that I tend not to involve myself in resolving abandoned questions, however I have been the recipient of points as the result of other experts doing so.  I am annoyed about ow this is notified to the experts.

My "Good Answer!" email simply says "Congratulations! Your answer to the following question has been accepted" and it shows the Grading Comment, but it does not say whether it was the asker who came back to close the question and award points, or whether it was one of the experts who made the proposal.

The text in the notification list (bell icon) says:
<asker> has accepted your comment as the solution to: "<question title>

The only way to know who accepted my comment is to hang the mouse over this icon to show a popout like this:

Points_Award.jpg
There are occasions where I have seen the notification naming the asker and posted a "thank you" to that person without realising that I was actually thanking the person who abandoned the question, rather than te expert who nominated my comment as the proposed solution.

The email message and bell notification text should be changed to make it clear that it was not the asker wo accepted the comment.

Expert Comment

Rob Jurd2017-01-17 03:26 AMID: 1962674
BillDL,
That's a sensible idea. It's more likely to be noticed if you post a feature request (through the bug reporting system): https://www.experts-exchange.com/Expert_Testing/1063/Experts-Exchange-test-the-new-Network-for-Technology-Professionals.html

Author Comment

BillDL2017-01-17 03:47 AMID: 1962678

Expert Comment

AndyAinscow2017-01-17 11:22 AMID: 1962840
You should have received an email Pending Update (I do) prior to the closure.  Also if you went to the question there should be a 'comment' from an expert who has suggested the question be closed in a certain manner.

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2017-01-21 11:25 AMID: 1964137
Why would a closure be captioned "Pending Update?"  Why not just way what is really happening: "Pending Closure?"

Expert Comment

AndyAinscow2017-01-22 01:23 AMID: 1964173
Update to status?  Could be recommended delete.