• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Helping with Homework

There's been many discussions about homework and I wanted to clarify a few points and relax our approach somewhat, regarding questions about "homework".

Ultimately we want to help people get their solution.

So how do we do this?

In the homework discussions I've had recently with other members and staff, I've realised that this isn't just about homework.  The underlying issue is just more prevalent with homework questions.  What do we do when someone posts a question "I need you to write me an Access database or Website or .NET app ......."?  We say "no way bud, that goes above and beyond the help a volunteer would typically offer.  For that we should head over to the Gigs area to work out a price".

The balance has been lost as there is no effort put in from the asker.

So what we want to see is that the asker is willing to put in the same effort that you would expect from any other asker in your relative topic areas.  You probe them as necessary; "what have you got so far" etc.  Just remember to request attention if it gets beyond the simple probing before it gets out of hand.

They do this by posting a question about the specific issue within their homework that they can't get past AND show what they've done so far to reach this point.  That's when we should do what we can to help and when they don't, we educate on what the steps are required to get them to that point.

And when they don't do that and they post their 15 question assignment as the question, let's do our best to nurture and educate them on how they should break down each of those 15 questions into single EE questions, encourage them to have a go at each one first before posting the question.

The other issue is academic integrity. This rides solely with the asker.  They want to cheat on a test then it's not our responsibility to tell them they can or can't do that (they will get around that part with a guise anyway).  There is enough plagiarism detection software out there, and after discussions with faculty staff from different educational institutions, that no student is going to be able to get away with a copy and paste from Experts Exchange.  The onus is on the asker.  I personally expect anyone asking a "homework" question to be able to interpret and submit the solution in their own words and if they can't then I would expect them to ask further questions until they do.  It's important to note that many of us learn through examples.

This flexibility (or dismissal) regarding homework has come about due to the high number of negative experiences that members have had when they've come to EE for help and not received it.  They've just had different expectations, as do the expert community.  This discussions is about bringing those expectations closer and putting the responsibility of the academic integrity where it should be; on the asker.

If in doubt, hit the RA button for a mod to get involved and let's avoid polluting the thread with discussing trying to ascertain whether the question is homework or other related off-topic discussions.

Rob (eenookami)
Community Advisor
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (109)

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2017-05-12 09:49 AMID: 2006029
I've removed the Gig and am following up with the user.

Expert Comment

Steve Bink2017-05-12 11:41 AMID: 2006052
@Craig Kehler: good for you for removing the Gig.  It would be awesome if SOP/policy meant things like could be addressed by the community instead of having to get corporate involved.  

You know.... like the previous 13 years of my membership here...

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2017-05-12 01:23 PMID: 2006072
The best way to address them for now is to Request Attention on the member profile and include a link to the Gig. Due to the legal agreements of the Gigs system any intervention on them must be performed by an employee of Experts Exchange.

Expert Comment

Another 50-dollar Gig with either a homework assignment or exam:
https://www.experts-exchange.com/gigs/4015/Algorithms.html
I'll RA it in the profile, as Craig requested, but wanted to share it here, too. Regards, Joe

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2017-08-31 10:43 AMID: 2054266
I will message the user. Thank you for bringing attention to this.

Expert Comment

You're welcome. And thanks to you for working with the member on it.