• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

How do you add tabular information within an Article?

I'm attempting to write an  article (I've never submitted one before), but I'm having problems finding out what can and can't (easily) be done.

The toolbar doesn't mention tables, yet the CKEditor User's Guide (referenced via the Help button on the edit toolbar) indicates that they are supported (but it does show a much more populated toolbar).

I've tried to use tables (as per html format) and insert these via changing the Source data; they appear to be accepted, and display OK in the Edit window; for example:

View from Edit mode

But when (having saved the data as a draft) I later go back and view the article, the tabular format is not there; for example:

View when not in Edit mode

Going back into Edit mode, the tabular view returns - but what will be seen when the article is published?
... and is there a recommended method of inserting tabular data?
... which bits of the CKEditor are supported, and which are not?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (13)

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2017-02-04 09:31 AMID: 1968521
Here's another example showing multiple large screen captures layered over a purple background.  It's a little fiddly to get the alignment exactly right (you need to go pixel-by-pixel for the best image quality).  I often use a purple background and partial transparency to align the layers, then bring the opacity up to 100%, merge the layers, and crop away the extraneous parts of the image.
swine_layers.psd

Author Comment

DansDadUK2017-02-05 04:26 AMID: 1968700
Ray

I'm not familiar with Photoshop, etc., so can't comment much on your suggestion of using multiple layers to enable a large multi-page capture.

I'm sure that it would work, but it seems to be a very complicated procedure just to insert a table of data in an article.

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2017-02-05 04:50 AMID: 1968704
Agreed, it's some work, but E-E doesn't offer the feature of CKEditor that we need for tables.  That said, if you're not familiar with Photoshop, you will be better off with almost any different solution.  Drawing programs are one of those rabbit holes that can suck away a week of your life when you're learning how they work!  Once you know, it's easy, sort of like calculus.  Best of luck...

Author Comment

DansDadUK2017-02-05 04:56 AMID: 1968705
Drawing programs are one of those rabbit holes that can suck away a week of your life when you're learning how they work!

How true!

Expert Comment

Dan Craciun2017-02-05 07:02 AMID: 1968718
Are external links allowed in articles?

If the answer is yes, I would use a screenshot as a placeholder for a link to a properly formatted web page on my own website.

This way you can use HTML for tables and work around the unsupported features of E-E.

Expert Comment

Modalot2017-02-05 07:31 AMID: 1968720
Dan - not in the way you want to use them. Content has to be all in the article (or EE). A picture with the formatted data in the article, and a link to your own site then in case someone needs a better resolution, is subject to discussion with the corresponding PE.
I agree that the missing table feature is an issue, making creation of some kind of articles a pain.