• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

LIVE review moderation

I've had quite a few requests for LIVE assistance, and for the most part it's been okay, with the exception that a majority of the users who request help seem to have no idea that payment is required. Because of that, the first question I ask is "Are you aware the LIVE platform is a paid service?".

If they answer Yes, then I continue to work with them to determine if my skills fit their needs. I would expect the member to rate me based on their overall experience working with me.

If they answer No, then I suggest to them they post a Question (if they've not already done so), wish them luck, and the Live session expires. I would expect the member to NOT rate me at all, since I didn't help them (other than by suggesting they post a question).

With that in mind: I've had one EE member who rated me a 3, simply because I reminded them it was a Paid service (i.e. immediately after the "Are you aware ..." question). I don't really feel this is fair - he had to be aware the LIVE feature was a Paid service, since (I believe) the EE system requests that you enter credit card info when initiating the service.

Anything we can do to avoid this? I've asked the member why they rated me a 3 but, of course, have no response.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (28)

Author Comment

some thought it was part of the membership rather than paid and possibly getting a discount.
I've run across that as well - I'll remind the user that LIVE is a paid service, and they'll respond "No, it's included with my subscription".

Of course, a lot of this could be avoided if EE took steps to make it abundantly clear that LIVE is a paid service, regardless of your membership type.

I'm just about ready to call it quits with the LIVE and GIGS stuff. Waaaaaaaaaay too high a signal-to-noise ratio on those features. My most recent frustration was a request for help this morning around 1:00 AM my time. I've setup my schedule to be available between 8 and 5, but I continue to get requests well outside of those hours. Makes me look bad, since the asker assumed I ignored them.

Expert Comment

Tom Chadaravicius2017-02-23 03:57 AMID: 1973859
1. I agree the Live ratings should be moderated
2. On a side yet relevant topic, I call fellow EE members to steer away from becoming a "Uber of programmers"; ride-share driver ratings is a component of Uber; the underpricing is yet another undesired "a-la-Uber" component.
The EE tends to be an elite community, and it should stay this way.
Tom

Expert Comment

Jackie Man2017-03-10 04:13 AMID: 1978112
According to the support site for Live, it says:-

The first 5 minutes of support are FREE of charge to the client. Use this time to work out the details of the problem and complete any additional setup either party may need to make.

So, I assume that it is NOT a MUST for me to continue the one-to-one help if I think that I cannot offer any help at the time being and I can leave LIVE and ask the member to seek help from other members.

Am I correct?

If yes, why the member can leave me a POOR rating of 1 when I cannot help within the first five FREE minutes.

I strongly DEMAND that any experts can remove the rating made on our profile for the first five free minutes or no rating can be made within the first five FREE minutes as it is pretty unfair to us as we are just human and how can the members expect all requests MUST be entertained during the first five FREE minutes.

Author Comment

If someone leaves you a poor rating and you feel it's unfair, just request attention and the mods can review and possibly remove that rating. The exact thing happened to me - a member rated my poorly because they thought my estimate was too high, and Kyle removed that rating.

Expert Comment

Jackie Man2017-03-10 04:24 AMID: 1978115
If someone leaves you a poor rating and you feel it's unfair, just request attention and the mods can review and possibly remove that rating.

Done. Thanks!

Expert Comment

Also on this point, I believe they are looking to make a change that a rating cannot be given until the paid period starts.

Jim.