Top Contributors

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Access services ( Access Web Apps) will be phased out:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:  Access services ( Access Web Apps) will be phased out:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-Retirement-Blog/Updating-the-Access-Services-in-SharePoint-Roadmap/ba-p/57148

Jim.

Author Comment

Some additional tools/info on the Access Services retirement:

Introduction to Microsoft PowerApps for Access web apps developers:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54942

Export Access web app tables to SharePoint
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-Access-web-app-tables-to-SharePoint-ff9d9058-14cf-40a2-89c8-ec46cf5cd67c?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Expert Comment

aikimark2017-03-28 06:11 AMID: 1983275
Thanks for the heads up, Jim

Expert Comment

From SQL Azure To Sharepoint Lists ... now that ... is special :-)

Expert Comment

David L. Hansen2017-03-28 02:04 PMID: 1983428
Not sure I really like this move by MS. I've taken only a quick look at PowerApps and wasn't convinced that it is all that mature.

What's your impression Jim?

Author Comment

David,

Power apps have a way to go I think before they become useful.  But if Microsoft's focus is singular and throws their weight behind it, it could come a long way quickly.

Time will tell whether this is another flash in the pan like Access Web Apps and Light Switch, or if it has staying power.

I'm waiting for a little more cohesiveness before I jump in.  Heck if they keep tweaking the Access Desktop side, I might be able to retire without learning another new product ;)

And yes, I'm a bit jaded at this point.  Microsoft killed off Visual FoxPro, which was a great product that I tried to jump into.  

Real bottom line though is if it can solve client problems, then I'm in.

Jim.

Expert Comment

Nick Yannios2018-08-22 01:45 PMID: 2247071
I think it a mistake for Microsoft to retire Microsoft Access Services so soon.    

There are many customers who have quickly built business apps running on SharePoint, including us, that are vital.

While the SharePoint Framework (SPFX), PowerApps and Flow are cool, the learning curve is steep.   To build an app with comparable functinality to and app built Access Services would take much more time than simply building one in Access and pushing up to Access Services.

PowerApps and Flow are an alternative that we can move to but because we are a government organization we are in double jeopardy becuase Microsoft rolls out new functionality in Office 365 for the "government cloud"  at a slower pace than they do for the "commercial sector cloud".   (Yes, we've already complained to them).  It will not be available for us to use until late 2018. @#%!~@#

What's also frustrating, is that you have tools such as InfoPath and Access Services that have matured and has been adopted by may customers and then Microsoft announces they're going to deprecate it force everyone into using tools that are not mature.

my 2 cents...

Nick