• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Should Asker's get points?

Should the asker of a question get points if the question is closed by the community? ie. through the inactive system?

Currently the asker CAN get points for their comments in their own question, if and only if, the points are assigned by the the community through the inactive process. ie. One or more of their comments are selected as the solution by another participant of that question.

History has been that askers NEVER got points.  It was recently changed for a few reasons, one of which is it shows that they're ABLE to earn points and to promote them to participate as experts.  Because of this, of course there's going to be resistance to change so it is about keeping an open mind.  Experts are on the site a LOT more than an asker so if this is a form of retention then that's a good thing.

What it can look like is rewarding bad behaviour.  However, the 14 day limit was set so it would be prohibitive for an asker to game the system also as they can't give themselves points they would be relying on the community so the odds of gaming points out of asking a question is incredibly unlikely.  

So that means that the asker has just not completed the closing process (yes that's a whole other discussion...) or they've got their solution and not realised they need to close (whether they solved it themselves or not).

So that's a bit of background... I'd like to hear thoughts about the potential problems and benefits you see with the current process but also other ways we can encourage the askers.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (29)

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2017-04-15 10:44 AMID: 1990146
Should the asker of a question get points if the question is closed by the community?
Let me try this question from a different viewpoint...
Should the asker of a question get points?
Yes! Under the following guidelines.

1. The asker has at least a partially complete profile (Location, Languages, Experience)
2. The experts in the community endorse the question

There are, occasionally, very good questions that should be held up as teaching examples for the community (the question comes with the SSCCE, for example).  There are some very good questions that ask the "why" about a common point of confusion.  I'd like to see E-E be able to highlight these questions, and reward the authors, with additional points.  Maybe give the author 100 points per endorsement or something like that.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2017-04-16 01:05 AMID: 1990249
interesting point. grading questions seems sensible... nevertheless i'm unsure that giving points to the author for his own answers is a decent way to do that. i'm also concerned that many users may tacitly exchange accepted answers for endorsements.

maybe this would be interesting :
- be able to endorse questions for their quality either without participating to the thread or while providing the first comment. a good question written with care and enough information should be rewarded with both recognition and better help for either this or future questions.
- automatically flag neglectors

i'd love to see information such as
"out of 12 questions asked, 40 different members endorsed at least 1 question for it's quality, 8 questions were endorsed, 10 were answered, 1 was deleted, and 1 was neglected"
"out of 3 questions asked, 6 different members flagged them as hard to figure out what the asker wanted, 1 was answered, 2 were neglected"

i'm pretty sure askers would ask good questions and close their own threads without relying that much on mods

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2017-04-17 09:14 PMID: 1990575
There are, occasionally, very good questions that should ...
Be rewarded somehow?

Maybe that is true, but answering one's own question isn't directly related to asking a good question.

Unlike Ray, my answer to that is "Not under any conditions."

Expert Comment

mlmcc2017-04-18 07:12 AMID: 1990646

In general I would say no.  It will too hard to police.  I know many times I can't remember how to do something or can't find the reference to it.
If I ask the question then sometime later remember or find the link should that be worth points?

Here is an example where I could support the asker getting points.
The experts were a bit stumped on why it wasn't working and the asker tried several things and found one that worked.
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29012661/Blank-Optional-DateRange-omits-Null-Date-values.html

mlmcc

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2017-04-18 07:40 AMID: 1990656
One final thought, and this will be my last on it.  Anything  we can do to get people to come (or come back) to E-E and ask questions should be on the table for discussion.  We want to encourage people to use the E-E site, not put obstacles or "unwelcome" mats in front of them.

If points had any economic value, then we might want to worry about points-related cheating, but they don't have any value at all.  There is nothing to police.  Points can't be sold, traded, borrowed, or exchanged for goods.  Anyone can get a free membership, so why should we worry if someone "abuses" the points structure.  The abusers, if any, will be a tiny percentage of the site's clientele, and will be easy enough to identify and notify that they are out-of-bounds.

My earlier comment was not intended to say askers should be allowed to close their own questions and give themselves points, which is kind of silly when you think about it.  The comment was intended to convey the idea that well-formed and interesting questions should be highlighted in a positive way, with endorsements from members of the community, and that maybe the endorsements should give some points.

Expert Comment

Mark Wills2017-04-18 08:29 AMID: 1990684
We want to encourage people to use the E-E site, not put obstacles or "unwelcome" mats in front of them.
No problems with that statement from anyone as far as I can tell...

they (points) don't have any value at all.
Disagree. They do in this place as a measure of expertise.

to close their own questions and give themselves points, which is kind of silly when you think about it.
Agree. Which is why the discussion was posted. Apart from the fact that an Asker cannot award themselves points (but other experts can), it sounds like you are in agreement that askers should not receive points...

As Rob said above https:#c1987699  the issue of encouraging askers (and experts alike) is a little out of scope for this thread. This thread is all about closing inactive questions.