• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Is it just me...

I've asked a couple of questions over the last couple of weeks and received no responses. Not a single nibble. This got me thinking that there are 3 possibilities:

1. I've lost my ability to ask questions in a coherent manner
2. The questions I'm asking are so advanced, esoteric, or unusual that there just aren't enough experts on the subject
3. The quality/quantity of participating experts on EE has dropped

Which do you think it is?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (30)

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2017-05-08 09:10 AMID: 2004501
I'd probably suggest NOT having an animated paperclip popup to navigate the wizard however.
I lol'd.
Can EE have a natural language processor built into the topic suggestion routine?)
StackOverflow is very critical and can downvote the heck out of a question if its not performed correctly.  I'm not aware of any Topic Advisor or Moderator from the community there that will reach out to a user to try and guide them on how to ask good questions.  Reddit has a bot that notifies you if you didn't tag your question properly in whatever subreddit requires proper designation.

Experts Exchange has its opportunities.  I won't disagree with you on that.  EE lets its users have a little more freedom than other places.  If a member has opportunity to improve their question they asked, then a Topic Advisor can help them, educate them, welcome them to the site if they're new...Moderators do this just the same. I've even seen fellow Experts give askers a hand.  That is also why Experts who have achieved Level 5 (50,000 points overall) can edit topics on a question page.  So if you are Level 5+ and you see an opportunity for someone's question to be designated in the appropriate topic, then you have the ability to make that adjustment.

@Ben,
Yeeeaaahhhhhhh...this is on the list of things to improve.  It is on our team's radar.

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2017-05-08 09:14 AMID: 2004504
Experts who have achieved Level 5 (50,000 points overall) can edit topics on a question page
Can they do this for Articles, too?

Expert Comment

Rich Weissler2017-05-08 09:46 AMID: 2004540
Can they do this for Articles, too?
Yep -- it appears as the little 'notepad' icon at the end of the topic list.
"Edit Topics" button

Expert Comment

Rich Weissler2017-05-08 09:53 AMID: 2004543
@Ben Personick RE: "Windows Server"
I see.  Until I noticed today that "Microsoft Server OS" is suppose to be for legacy versions of the Microsoft Server OSs, I would have assumed a question that crossed versions would have been there.  I think we still agree on the conclusion that (1) some sort of hierarchy with inheritance would have been (was) nice in some ways, and (2) the current topics leave some to be desired.
Windows Server OS

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2017-05-08 09:59 AMID: 2004546
@Ray,
Yes.

Expert Comment

Ray Paseur2017-05-08 10:44 AMID: 2004560
Hmm... Maybe now I have a hint as to why the topic areas for one of my articles got changed.