• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

[Expert Advice] – Reinstall Windows! – Really?

What are folks general feelings on those that have a habit of jumping into a question only to suggest a re-installation of Windows, rather than put any serious effort into nutting out a troublesome Operating System related problem?

Do question askers really need an “Expert” to get a suggestion like that? Is a suggestion like that even worthy of acknowledgement in points?

I assume people come to a forum like this to get help in resolving a problem they’re having – not to be given the same lame suggestions their ISP Support line or the kid next door who’s cluey with computers will give them.

I’ve been working with computers for over 20 years so yes, I’m fully aware that sometimes, the easiest way to fix a problem is just to backup, wipe the drive and start from scratch. But shouldn’t that be a last resort once all other avenues have been explored and exhausted?

Please discuss :)
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (45)

Expert Comment

Jackie Man2017-05-28 10:47 AMID: 2010587
If your OS is Windows Vista or above, try to do a system restore is the first response.

The system restore advice were one of the reasons I have got Windows Vista certification.

Expert Comment

Qlemo2017-05-28 11:28 AMID: 2010589
Jackie, as stated above several times it depends on what the Asker expects to get. If it would not help, you do not suggest it, no? You always loose something with a restore.

Expert Comment

Jackie Man2017-05-28 11:38 AMID: 2010590
System restore is different from factory restore.

Unless the user stores files on desktop, running system restore will not affect user files.

Expert Comment

Jackie Man2017-05-28 09:27 PMID: 2010798
@McKnife. I guess you're right in what prompted me to start this discussion. I've seen a pattern emerge and yes, usually involving the same expert(s) who are quite highly ranked in points.. (and before anyone asks, no I won’t mention names) Once you see it happen once, twice, three times and more, I start to wonder if they've really earned the ranking they hold or is a lot of it just a result of capitalising on one of the oldest fail-safe's in the book?

I do not think that it is related. Earned the ranking are mostly a result of quick response (hard work) + knowledge in the field from real life professional practice (experience).

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2017-05-29 10:14 PMID: 2011725
... maybe you can post a bot feature request

Expert Comment

dhsindy2017-05-31 09:08 PMID: 2012862
I started keeping a log of all things I did to my computer like: change a setting, change a driver, new programs installed, etc.  When I have had a problem it seems to always comes back to something I did.  I undo it or do it properly and everything is fixed.

I would never reinstall the operating system on a system that is past it's support date.  Especially, not my Win XP system or this Win 7 system.