• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Reporting Experts who just post links

Still seeing this out there, someone will post a question and an expert posts only a link to another source. I think that's called "Googling" an answer, not writing out an answer. Is there a report button for this? All of my answers are from my experience. If I don't know an answer, I don't google it to win points.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (126)

Expert Comment

Brian B2017-07-18 06:44 AMID: 2037086
I know what you are saying Modalot, but except for the ones that were off topic enough to be noticeable, the last few GM answers I have RA'd, I have been told they were acceptable.

*Not that mods are doing a bad job*. It's just sometimes hard to tell, especially when you have been staring at a whole bunch of different writing styles all day, as I'm sure mods do. Without taking the time to follow the link and find the copied text, a mod reviewing the RA might miss it.

Expert Comment

@Brian B - I've always seen this trend also, when you delete a link with a Blind Link, they then return with pasting the blind link, and then copying the content from the site, with a reference to it....

back to my example, becomes...

Question:- .g. I've got a VMware Snapshot what do I do with it ?

Answer

What is a snapshot?
A snapshot preserves the state and data of a virtual machine at a specific point in time.
The state includes the virtual machine’s power state (for example, powered-on, powered-off, suspended).
The data includes all of the files that make up the virtual machine. This includes disks, memory, and other devices, such as virtual network interface cards.
A virtual machine provides several operations for creating and managing snapshots and snapshot chains. These operations let you create snapshots, revert to any snapshot in the chain, and remove snapshots. You can create extensive snapshot trees.

In VMware Infrastructure 3 and vSphere 4.x, the virtual machine snapshot delete operation combines the consolidation of the data and the deletion of the file. This caused issues when the snapshot files are removed from the Snapshot Manager, but the consolidation failed. This left the virtual machine still running on snapshots, and the user may not notice until the datastore is full with multiple snapshot files.

In vSphere 4.x, an alarm can be created to indicate if a virtual machine was running in snapshot mode. For more information, see Configuring VMware vCenter Server to send alarms when virtual machines are running from snapshots (1018029).

In vSphere 5.0, enhancements have been made to the snapshot removal. In vSphere 5.0, you are informed via the UI if the consolidation part of a RemoveSnapshot or RemoveAllSnapshots operation has failed. A new option, Consolidate, is available via the Snapshot menu to restart the consolidation.

Creating a snapshot
When creating a snapshot, there are several options you can specify:

Name: This is used to identify the snapshot.
Description: This is used to describe the snapshot.
Memory: If the <memory> flag is 1 or true, a dump of the internal state of the virtual machine is included in the snapshot. Memory snapshots take longer to create, but allow reversion to a running virtual machine state as it was when the snapshot was taken. This option is selected by default. If this option is not selected, and quiescing is not selected, the snapshot will create files which are crash-consistent, which you can use to reboot the virtual machine.

Note: When taking a memory snapshot, the entire state of the virtual machine will be stunned. For more information, see  Taking a snapshot with virtual machine memory renders the virtual machine to an inactive state while the memory is written to disk (1013163).

Quiesce: If the <quiesce> flag is 1 or true, and the virtual machine is powered on when the snapshot is taken, VMware Tools is used to quiesce the file system in the virtual machine. Quiescing a file system is a process of bringing the on-disk data of a physical or virtual computer into a state suitable for backups. This process might include such operations as flushing dirty buffers from the operating system's in-memory cache to disk, or other higher-level application-specific tasks.

Note: Quiescing indicates pausing or altering the state of running processes on a computer, particularly those that might modify information stored on disk during a backup, to guarantee a consistent and usable backup. Quiescing is not necessary for memory snapshots; it is used primarily for backups.

Reference
https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1015180

Expert Comment

Rob Jurd2017-07-18 04:11 PMID: 2037295
@Andrew,

We've updated the support page: http://support.experts-exchange.com/customer/portal/articles/1162518

All links need commentary.  Including EE links that are acceptable right off the bat but ONLY with commentary.

BTW your post is still blind and plagiarism.  Unless you say something to describe how it's relevant or at the very least cut out the relevant parts that answer the question and explain why.

Expert Comment

it's not my post it's an EXAMPLE post that idiots POST!

So I assume if we see a response like that from a Google Monkey, we can delete it and refer them to the Rules!

Good Enough for me.

Author Comment

Love it! That is a link I'm going to keep very handy moving forward! :)

Expert Comment

Rob Jurd2017-07-18 07:36 PMID: 2037311
LOL my bad Andrew...

Just RA and a mod will take care of it :)