• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Business prospect emails - spam?

Has anyone experienced such emails? Could they be genuine?

My name is Julie,I saw your profile today at www.experts-exchange.com. and i became interested in you, I will also like to know more about you, and I want you to send an e-mail to my email address so that I can give you my picture for you to know who i am, here is my e-mail (**********@yahoo.com)I am waiting for your mail to my email remain bless yours new friend Julie

or

hit me up at{********@yahoo.com}am Ann Hester A lady from USA i have business to discuss with you am not always online here i wait for your email to my email box
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (17)

Expert Comment

Mr. Wolfe2017-07-18 09:04 AMID: 2037145
Ben, we have dealt with that member and they can no longer participate.

When you see spam, you don't need to RA on the profile, just report abuse on the message. Moderators can not view private messages between members unless your report it as abuse. If you only RA on the profile, it is difficult for us to do anything.  http://support.experts-exchange.com/customer/portal/articles/2840656

The spam situation is top priority. We are getting many reports for spam and these reports seep to continue for weeks and months. If you do get a very spammy  message and notice it is more than a few days old, you can be assured many others have already reported it.

Expert Comment

Modalot2017-07-18 09:37 AMID: 2037154
Also please note that we do not delete profiles. If there is no open Profile RA, you have no indication for it to be reported already.

Expert Comment

Spike992017-07-18 10:57 AMID: 2037167
I received virtually the same messages that you saw. I checked their profiles and, in each case, the account was created the same day the message was sent. Neither of the senders had any meaningful activity on EE:  no questions, answers, posts or certificates.  I reported the messages as spam and deleted them them from my mailbox.  A moderator responded in each case.  One of the moderators said EE is working on a way to prevent this type of spam from going out to participants on this site.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2017-07-18 12:36 PMID: 2037214
can't we forbid private messages from senders with no activity or possibly no interaction with us ( such as participating in a common thread ) ... possibly as an opt-in feature so folks who use their accounts professionally can still be contacted ?

Expert Comment

Merete2017-07-18 03:58 PMID: 2037292
We are covering exactly this same topic here with the same emails messages being sent only we are referring to it as phishing
https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/218746/Phishing-in-EE.html#c2037089
I to received exactly the same emails, the problem is we cant disable messages or the emails from messages without it applying to the whole of EE.
This is a perfect example of the if it is aint broke dont fix it attitude. So many newbies tinkering with EE database making changes it opens the doors to this exact problem.
Too many eggs in one basket,  but as it is it's the entire internet system these days connecting everyone and everything with these so called apps, so gives opportunity for hackers and scammers and the like to get access through one that connects to another just like Facebook, Twitter Youtube. Friend of a friend  of a friend.
I feel EE is nolonger the place it used to be and have no real interests to help out much anymore.

Expert Comment

Jules Cesar ENGONO2017-08-03 02:30 AMID: 2042665
I want to understand