• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Personal Blacklist for users

Hi,
is it possible to have one's own blacklist for selected users, so that you know right from the start that you do not want to lose time with some users ? Is it already implemented in EE ?
It sometime happens that you lose your time to help people and they get arrogant and rude: you do not want to lose your time again with them but you just forget their name, at the risk of making the same mistake over and over.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (26)

Expert Comment

MVISH2017-09-05 11:34 AMID: 2055287
Agreed, many times people take someone's help as if it is it paid

Expert Comment

Kyle Santos2017-09-05 11:41 AMID: 2055288
I would just report the profile if the member was being rude to me.  Or report the question comment (new feature) by the anonymous person who said something rude.

Expert Comment

dhsindy2017-09-05 04:00 PMID: 2055398
I started a blacklist in a text file years ago.  Mostly I have it memorized.  The thing that irks me the most is a question that could be answered with a Google search by the questioner but they are too lazy to even do that.  I don't want to be someones executive assistant.

Expert Comment

Scott Fell, EE MVE2017-09-06 07:11 AMID: 2055539
>  many times people take someone's help as if it is it paid

Perception is reality. The perception is not always clear on all sides.

A non-premium member can ask questions freely on the site just as a premium member can. However, the premium member has some additional benefits including higher priority (offering more points) when asking questions, discounts for Live or Gigs, anonymous/private questions etc.

To become a premium member, you either pay with money or with earned points. One way to earn points is by answering questions. In a sense, you are part of the monitory system.

>  many times people take someone's help as if it is it paid

Perception is reality. The perception is not always clear on all sides.

A non-premium member can ask questions freely on the site just as a premium member can. However, the premium member has some additional benefits including higher priority (offering more points) when asking questions, discounts for Live or Gigs, anonymous/private questions etc.

To become a premium member, you either pay with money or with earned points. One way to earn points is by answering questions. In a sense, you are part of the monitory system. You are in complete control of how you choose to answer questions.

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2017-09-08 01:29 PMID: 2056408
I am totally going there.

Yes.  Create a Saved Search, include your zones, and exclude any member you wish to 'blacklist'.
Then only answer questions in your saved search and not directly in the zone.  

Works beautifully.  I have a couple of experts that I've excluded.  Don't remember off the top of my head what they did to warrant my excluding them but I'm sure it was spectacular.   I'll add anonymous users as soon as that functionality exists.   If anyone complains, well, EE built that functionality, so nobody should be surprised that it's used.

I've also blocked only one user so far.  That I remember.

Having said all of that, my activity in EE has been down the last year anyways as I started a big job and just don't have the time.

Expert Comment

aikimark2017-09-08 02:08 PMID: 2056413
My blocked user count is only two.  Like Jim, Anonymous Members will take effect as soon as the feature is implemented.