• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

New High School Senior - Seeking Advice

Hello, experts,

My name is Paul Kent, and express my gratitude to be a part of this group.

It is my understanding that experts on Expert Exchange are usually experienced professionals with years of industry experience. As a high school student, I cannot claim any such credential at this time. However, I have good explanation skills with a solid understanding of C++, and I was hoping to develop and sell an introduction to programming course. I am willing to put in time and effort to develop this course and make it worth buying, but I had a few questions about the process.
  • Do I need to achieve a certain level on the site before my course will be taken seriously by the review team and potential consumers?
  • What is an appropriate course length for a relatively cheap introduction to programming course?
  • Do you have any other tips to offer for a first-time course developer?

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to being a part of the Experts Exchange community.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (13)

Expert Comment

Mr. Wolfe2017-09-26 08:08 AMID: 2060772
Don't worry about what the other Experts. The proof is going to be in the response you get from the person asking the question, not the other Experts. There are no rules about posting code one way or another.  You can see for yourself in the code of conduct section of the terms of use. https://www.experts-exchange.com/terms.jsp. They are not there.  

Sometimes the Experts may refer to helping with homework and the Terms of Use state it is up the the Asker to abide by their own institutions guidelines.  

Keep going and if you find you hit some trouble with using the site, you can either request attention http://support.experts-exchange.com/customer/portal/articles/633782 or look up one of the Moderators profiles and click the message button to send a private note or send an email to mods@experts-exchange.

Mr Wolfe
EE Moderator

Expert Comment

Anthony Pangilinan2017-09-26 08:57 AMID: 2060790
Hi Paul,

These links should be helpful in creating your intro to programming course:
http://support.experts-exchange.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2532355-course-guidelines
http://support.experts-exchange.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2594745-creating-a-course

To answer your original questions:
Do I need to achieve a certain level on the site before my course will be taken seriously by the review team and potential consumers?
No, the course will be reviewed under its own merits and any suggestions won't be a judgement on you, but an attempt to create the best product.
What is an appropriate course length for a relatively cheap introduction to programming course?
This is really just how much content do you need to provide in order to teach what you intend to teach. You can maybe browse some of the course curriculums to get a sense of what other people have done. If you're a premium member, you can even try out some of the courses that are free to premium members.
Do you have any other tips to offer for a first-time course developer?
If you're nervous about creating your course, consider creating a free course first to get a feel for the process and gauge the level of effort required.

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2017-09-26 10:07 AMID: 2060837
Welcome aboard Paul!

Just do your best to understand why other Experts are concerned and keep contributing! Your interest in learning and sharing your knowledge is very welcomed here.

“If man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a delight, part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear.” -Gene Roddenberry

Regards,

Craig Kehler
Director of QA and Community Relations

Author Comment

Paul Kent2017-09-26 12:06 PMID: 2060886
Thank you SO much, everyone, for your advice and support. I never expected to hear so many kind words and tips from so many experts, and it means a lot to me. This is a new experience for me, and I don't know if I would be able to do it without your help.

I hope I can prove to be as helpful and kind to Expert Exchange as you all have been for me. Truly, thank you.

Expert Comment

Jackie Man2017-10-26 06:33 AMID: 2067136
If you can create something which is unique and easy to understand and price it at a low price like $0.99 which users will feel comfortable to pay, you will be successful.

It was essentially how Apple conqured the music market with iTunes.

Of course, it is better to start with a free course designated for Premium members. There are at least 123 Premium members which have earned free Lifetime Membership. If you got the endorsement from such members who are experts at certain topics, it would be easier for you to promote your course.

Work hard and I am looking forward to your first interesting course.

Author Comment

Paul Kent2017-11-20 03:26 PMID: 2072749
It is with great excitement and pleasure that I announce that my course has been completed and published! Let it be known that your kind words and heartful advice have reached fruition. The English language has no words to properly convey my gratitude.

In case any of you are interested in checking out the end result, the page to the course is here: https://www.experts-exchange.com/courses/1401/Programming-for-You-Introduction-to-C.html