• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Please Remove the POST option

Seems that many newbies are POSTING their questions rather than submitting them as ASK.  

I think the POST option should be a flipped with the ASK.  

Any Thoughts??????????

EE1.png
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (11)

Expert Comment

Seems that many newbies are POSTING their questions rather than submitting them as ASK.
Also, some are sending questions via the private message system rather than the "Ask a Question" form. It has become such a prevalent problem (and often for a topic about which I know little) that I created some boilerplate text for it that I copy/paste into a reply message. Happy to share the text here (see below) in case anyone would like to use it (of course, I change the "xxx" and "yyy" each time, and occasionally customize the message).

Perhaps the site can look at the number of questions that a member has asked and the number of days that a person has been a member, apply some threshold tests to those values, and if either criterion is not met, then don't allow a Post or PM — or, at the very least, explain to the member what the Post, Message, and Q&A features are and try to steer the new member in the Q&A direction when appropriate. Regards, Joe

Hi xxx,
I see that you joined Experts Exchange today, so you may not understand how the site works. Rather than writing to me (and other folks) privately in this EE message system, you should post a question in the public forum — simply click the big blue "Ask a Question" button at the top of any page and then fill in the form. The question will be posted for all members of EE to see and is very likely to attract the right experts. For example, in this case, I am not the right expert, as I know nothing about yyy. Welcome to Experts Exchange! Regards, Joe

Author Comment

yo_bee2017-11-21 08:39 AMID: 2072967
EE1.png

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2017-11-21 12:30 PMID: 2073055
I appreciate those of you who take time to help these new users understand the site. We are heavily focused on new user on-boarding right now and will be doing a lot to help them understand the sites features. Recently we started sending them an on-site message to get them started and that is just the beginning. It gives them a direct link to Ask a Question.

Some are using posts very well others just come in, spam and leave. We have been looking at better detection of these types but we have to be careful we don't limit it for those who are using it correctly or wish to. There are options to hide all posts from a member and the ability to mark them as spam in the ellipses menu. Convert a post to a question is slated for work soon.

We are also looking at doing more articles, posts and announcement banners to make existing members aware of these features since they didn't get the benefits of the new on-boarding program.

Perhaps Craig or someone from EE can confirm, but I also recall being told that posts are not indexed?
They aren't indexed for external search engines like Google without a review process, but they are in our internal search index, unless deleted.

We haven't finalized our plans for 2018 but one of the items on the list is making a wizard that guides the user to the right content. Focusing on finding the user need and guiding them to the right feature based on their requirements.

Expert Comment

John2017-11-21 02:05 PMID: 2073075
Joe wrote "Also, some are sending questions via the private message system rather than the "Ask a Question" form"  

I often edit my Quick Bio to say "Do not send me private messages" .  That has helped (significantly) in alleviating this problem.

Expert Comment

I just try to avoid the view where we see Post because I don't find any value in the feature, I think maybe one day I will, but so far value is low for me on that feature.

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2017-11-21 09:27 PMID: 2073151
>>"I just try to avoid the view where we see Post "
                           DITTO

>>"I don't find any value in the feature"
                           DITTO

>>"I think maybe one day I will"
                            NOPE