• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Qualified Expert Point Requirement Update

Thank you for all your efforts to help others struggling with technical issues or seeking knowledge. Since I took on the responsibility of managing the community's needs in October of 2016, I have reviewed a lot of user feedback regarding the point requirement increase. For those who don't know in September of 2016 we increased the requirement to gain Premium membership via Qualified Expert status from 3k/month or 50k in the last 12 months to 10k/month or 100k in the last 12 months.

I have been monitoring a lot of metrics on how this has affected the site in addition to the feedback given through various channels. Looking at the recent months of August, September and October almost 900 experts would have gained Qualified Expert status with the old requirements but fell short due to the increase.

After careful analysis we have decided to revert the previous point requirement increase. In December the Qualified Expert point requirement will be back at 3k/month or 50k in the last 12 months. We really appreciate all that you do and want to ensure we recognize your efforts.

In the upcoming year we aim to show you we are focusing on the professional contributors that make this service great. We are involving community members in the early development stages of new features and updates. We are going to expand the volunteer program and empower our contributors to try out new concepts to improve this service. We will focus on improving the system to recognize the efforts put forth.

On behalf of Experts Exchange I would like to express our deepest gratitude for your efforts to help others.

Regards,

Craig Kehler
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (24)

Author Comment

Craig Kehler2017-11-29 02:07 PMID: 2075993
I will do an announcement banner soon. I don't like to run more than one of those at a time if I can avoid it. The focus right now is on getting people to fill out the survey for how we display question comments (shameless plug https://goo.gl/forms/Viu8mOebt5Ard0Ph2)

leaderboard, leaderboard, leaderboard, leaderboard, leaderboard, leaderboard

We will be bringing back the leaderboard to question pages. In general we need to make the game more visible and were mistaken when we prioritized other things ahead of it. Yes I'm aware many were very vocal that it was a bad idea to remove it. We should have listened.

Expert Comment

<<A USA patent lasts for 20 years. >>

I wasn't aware that changed back in '95.   Used to be 17 years from issue date or 20 from the application date, but I see they've now dropped the 17 based on issue date and only have 20 on the earliest application date.

Still expired at this point though.

Jim.

Expert Comment

yo_bee2017-11-30 06:59 AMID: 2076168
I work for an IP law firm and it is 20 years from filing.   As Jim pointed out it is a moot point (no pun intended) unless they refilled.

Expert Comment

Mark Wills2017-12-02 02:02 AMID: 2076604
I think the originators of the patent wouldnt recognise the current interpretation given the current manifestation of the "game".

To wit : ... the number and quality of answers provided is controlled by an answer evaluation method...

It is not about points, it is (now) only about points.

But missing is the value to the asker in terms of quality. We have also ignored the answer evaluation process.

The Gamification (not a game per se) is answering the riddle of point recognition in so much as it is not about points, it is all about points - highlighting how they are earned.

Things like grade and certifications are fundamental elements of gamification representing value and quality to build equity via the PAQ asset.

That is a big part of the enigma as to people paying just so they had access to PAQ.... We used to call them Seekers...

The site is now quite different at a core level. And so it should be. Except we have forgotten (or totally misunderstood) what "Gamification" means.

We now have priority rather than grades, we ask anonymously instead of seek, we have levels instead of certifications. Not that they are replacements as such, just a new manifestation over time and evolution (of the site and management). Unquestionably there were one or two management teams that clearly didnt understand (or tried to evolve elsewhere forsaking the core). And so, we now have to pick up the pieces and make it work again.

Which we can do with open minds and dialogue by applying some of the magic to the new vision working towards fulfilment of reputation by "supply numerous or high-quality answers with premiums, public recognition, or employment opportunities."

Playing with QE, we should not lose sight of a single neglected priority 3 an earn 3600 points in a single answer.... So, when evaluating the reward / benefit, we must also consider the relativity of the value proposition.

I dont think it is as easy as reverting to 3k/50k from 10k/100k not in the current "game". At one point (dare I say in the pinnacle of gamification), becoming a DE was a big thing....  

I can definitely see why it "pays to belong" to premium from an asker perspective, but what exactly does it mean for someone who wants to give their knowledge ? It isnt apparent in : https://www.experts-exchange.com/changeMembership.jsp

Any way, this post is designed more for "food for thought". Change isnt easy and easy changes wont always achieve the goals. Especially when we want to change "EE is really something" into something more like "Not something... EE is now everything".

Author Comment

Craig Kehler2017-12-06 01:40 PMID: 2077768
Great post Mark,

Many of your points are very in-line with our assessment of what we need to focus on. Fundamentally the core of the service this site provides needs to be our focus and we are aiming to limit our distractions in other areas. Essential to that core is the recognition of those who make it happen, in addition to focusing on how we recognize Expert contributions we need to recognize the volunteer contributions that help maintain order.

It is not about points, it is (now) only about points.

Agreed we are focusing on giving better ways to evaluate user interactions and promoting users who contribute diligently.

But missing is the value to the asker in terms of quality. We have also ignored the answer evaluation process.

Also on the near term roadmap. We need to not only encourage askers to close their questions but seekers to give feedback when a solution has worked for them.

I dont think it is as easy as reverting to 3k/50k from 10k/100k not in the current "game". At one point (dare I say in the pinnacle of gamification), becoming a DE was a big thing....

Agreed, it was one step in the right direction. We will be reviving the DE program and continuing to focus on how the game rewards all user personas for their contributions.

I can definitely see why it "pays to belong" to premium from an asker perspective, but what exactly does it mean for someone who wants to give their knowledge ?

I also agree this is an area that we need to improve. We are getting a lot of valuable feedback from new members based on their responses to the recent addition of a private message welcoming them to the site and inquiring into why they joined. Many are happy with gaining premium membership so they can use those features, but I believe there is room for improvement in recognizing those who are here solely to help others. Our annual survey will aim to gather similar information from long term members.

Expert Comment

This happened at a ridiculously good time.

College course: ITIL Foundation.

Happened to get enough points to be premium.

This month's course? ITIL Foundation.