• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Abanded questions are an increasing problem

A two point solution to solving this issue.

1. Delete immediate ALL open questions more than 30 days old. If the author does not care, neither should we. Delete them ALL and mark them Abandoned-Deleted.

2. After a user has two transgressions, suspend or delete the user.

About a third to a half of what I do gets deleted anyway. It wastes our time and completely devalues Experts.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (76)

Expert Comment

MAS (MVE)2017-12-12 12:13 PMID: 2079577
Posting something off topic.
I was thinking how we can find a new user who is eligible to answer a question. How we can put a control? That will make us outstanding as before. But not sure how bring this in to EE.  Because a new user slowly starts answering questions then he will earn points/certifications.
What do you all think?

Expert Comment

Amit2017-12-13 06:56 AMID: 2079977
I advise, EE should implement a team, who should do a pre-check for each question, before it goes to Experts to answer. EE should set some sort of rule for each question. Once question matches those standards, then only it should be released to Experts. As of now, 90% questions are vague to experts and Experts spent lot of time, in understanding the question or getting more details.

Like, when you open case in Microsoft, they ask your some basic questions, like what is the issue, what is the OS, software version etc. they are using and then it is sent to expert. That helps to sent question to right expert. As on EE site, users are opening questions, without giving any information and 90% are tagged to wrong technology.

Like Network question is tagged to Exchange technology. That also caused increase in abandoned questions. If EE really want to become more professional, they need to implement some standards. Else, we can never get rid of abandoned questions.

Expert Comment

Brian B2017-12-13 07:44 AMID: 2080013
Those are good ideas, but not sure how they would help solve abandoned questions. We are talking about questions where Experts have responded, but the Author never closes the question.

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2017-12-13 07:47 AMID: 2080022
>who should do a pre-check for each question, before it goes to Experts to answer.
That's a very big ask to have an SLO employee proofread every question in every zone, and I'm guessing that any attempt to solicit volunteers for every zone will fail as you're asking experienced experts for their time with no benefits, so ... who would do this?

Expert Comment

Brian B2017-12-13 08:08 AMID: 2080033
Maybe something can be done when a question is abandoned? Obviously an email won't work since the Author is already getting an email to come attend to their question. Maybe a popup next time they log on? Asking them why they didn't answer and require a response which then takes them to appropriate helpful information, such as how to properly close a question, what to do if you don't get an answer, how to accept your own answer, etc.

Expert Comment

Amit2017-12-13 08:51 AMID: 2080069
EE can integrate those fields within the form itself. If you see, ask a question form, it is very basic. There has to be some mandatory field for asker to select. I don't see this as a big task.  Also, if you are running a business, you need to invest in new ideas.