• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

I (single handedly) broke Experts Exchange

I use the iPhone Mobile App a lot for helping people here.

Monday night it got very slow and mid-today became unusable.

I entered a bug and with 4 to 5 hours Jeffrey Dake, a employee of EE, worked on it himself and got it fixed. Kudos to Jeffrey and many thanks.

Why did it break?  Jeffrey said it was because of my very high activity.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (16)

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2017-12-06 02:58 PMID: 2077790
Interesting.  The last time I took a serious run at the MVP was three years ago, used the same arguments, didn't get it, and Microsoft doesn't believe in giving any feedback whatsoever.   Apparently asking the MVP program for meaningful feedback is the equivalent of passing gas in church.  That was also when EE articles were behind the paywall, which I didn't realize until after I didn't get the MVP.  When I asked EE management about this their response was somewhere along the lines of 'We don't give a rip..', which greatly angered me and is why I stopped wring articles here.   Imagine my surprise.  I think I'm up to around 5,000 points per month solely on my articles.

A little white birdie whose name I swore not to mention said three years ago that Microsoft (1) has a strong preference to Stack over EE mostly because of the paywall issue, and because a couple of MVP's are also consultants at Stack, and (2) Microsoft has a less than flattering trend of awarding MVP's to former employees who accomplish big things while working at Microsoft and then leave for other employment.

I'm going to take another run this year as I ran our local SQL Saturday last year, and need to get the application in before I can no longer use that.

Author Comment

John2017-12-06 05:06 PMID: 2077813
I am clear that my work is at EE and what I do there. So far, so good. I do not know what will happen next year, but I do participate in the MVP programs as well.

Expert Comment

Mohammed Hamada2017-12-07 01:56 AMID: 2077883
I tried applying few days ago. I know I wont get it coz I didn't publish many articles in the last 6 months but since I already applied about 10 months ago I said i'd give it ago .. lol got rejected though

I personally think Microsoft like to see you active in their own blogs and forums, they also will reject you if they feel you're writing articles for money (even if it's not) but they do the judgement themselves.

next time i'd apply, I am planning to have thousands of articles as I already have some of that value handy and I get about 5-10K views monthly for my articles.

Good luck Jim

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2017-12-07 08:12 AMID: 2077974
One thing my little white birdie pointed out was my article page views.  When I compiled the #'s and showed him he sneered at the low numbers, which led to the discovery about the paywall.  Even now that the articles are no longer behind a paywall the views seem rather low, especially for the more common ones like 'SQL Server GROUP BY'.   I was going to write a few articles for other sources to do a comparison but ended up running out of steam on writing articles in general so that never happened.

One time I did an unscientific searching of all of my article titles on Google, and out of 20 I think two or three of them made the front page of the search results, and Stack questions were well represented.

Question for EE TPTB:  Does EE do anything for SEO on articles?  Since we're no longer using tags/keywords, it seems like the only thing I can do to optimize page views is to change the article title to as few words as possible to increase the odds of appearing in search engine results.   Seems like it's in EE's best interests to put some effort in here to draw more people to the site, not to mention keep article authors happy so they write more articles.   Disclaimer:  I'm not an SEO expert.  

The occasional social media blasts were nice but the numbers weren't huge.

Mohammed - Good luck on your next MVP run.  'Thousands of articles' might be tough unless we're talking two or three paragraphs as an article like Pinal Dave does.  Filled with advertising.

Author Comment

John2017-12-07 11:09 AMID: 2078048
EE could do a better job of promoting MVP and their success in here

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2018-01-16 11:58 AMID: 2093631
<John Hurst>  I (single handedly) broke Experts Exchange
<Russell Crowe in the movie 'Mystery, Alaska'>  Way to go Tree you killed him..