• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Would you like to see an indicator of the first question asked by a member?

Greetings Experts,

One of our teams was exploring the idea of adding an indication to the page when a member asks their first question, but they aren't sure on whether or not you, the Experts, would find that valuable. Obviously we want that first question asking experience to be a great one and to showcase what sets this community apart from others.

For example a user recently said to me:
Wow, I gotta say, for an on-line forum, ya'll's concern about how we interact, and all get along, are beyond the regular approach.

I look forward to spending time around, and participating if the response is like ya'll. I understand, sometimes a few sour apples can put the taste off for some. But knowing that ya'll attend to this, is awesome to say the least.

Thank you and I look forward to being part of the community.

Rather than publish a survey and use a banner I thought I'd see how feedback works here.

So if you are in favor endorse this post. https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/219883/Would-you-like-to-see-an-indicator-of-the-first-question-asked-by-a-member.html#c2079596

If you are against please endorse this post. https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/219883/Would-you-like-to-see-an-indicator-of-the-first-question-asked-by-a-member.html#c2079598

Of course you can always just leave comments and I will review them.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (36)

Expert Comment

<<Can we have one that says "I don't want 35 different variations of the same thing presented in 16 different posts, all claiming to be fully tested solution">>

I wouldn't go for that.   It falls in line with everything else that we've talked about in the past about asking the OP to give; what product/version?,  what's your level of experience?   What TA should this question go in?

all these things only complicate the experience for the member.   They should be able to ask a question and then have someone communicate with them to determine what the situation and problem is.

<<What I have experienced recently is a whole pile of attempts at answers without understanding the real problem. And that is a real problem.>>

Exactly!  That is the real problem; what is expected from Expert's.    I have to say, it bothers me to no end when someone comments and says more or less the same thing without bringing something new to the table.   It only confuses the thread.  

To that end, I've really pushed in the Access TA for the past couple of years for Experts to acknowledge in their comments that they are building on something that has been already said.

Pros:
1. It forces them to read the other comments first.
2. It means they have to add something new rather then repeating what has been said.
3. Expert's treat each other more as equals rather than being in competition with each other.

Cons:
1. Generally tougher to get a clear solution, making it a problem for a OP to assign points.  Many threads end up as splits

It's caught on a bit and I think overall the threads (and the TA) are better for it.    The end result is that we are now more a community of people helping each other rather than a "every one for themselves" approach.

The other issue is the one Mark raised; they dump in a comment, which is a total shot in the dark because they don't know what the problem truly is because they are trying to be the first one in and other Expert's won't give them the space to feel the situation out.

Again though, it all goes back to education of members and Experts, laying out the boundaries, and setting expectations.

Jim.

Expert Comment

Mark Wills2017-12-14 07:54 AMID: 2080631
@Jim,

<<Can we have one that says "I don't want 35 different variations of the same thing presented in 16 different posts, all claiming to be fully tested solution">>

Paul was talking about a particular expert within his TA who I would love to see change his ways. He is an aggressive little shite prepared to shout down other experts by discrediting their post with a caps lock "NO, THAT WONT WORK, USE MINE".

He tends to rapid fire potential answers, each one a slightly better variant (that may or may not work). Not interested in thinking about the solution, not interested in explanations, just a prick to be in the same thread with.

He copies from other sites and posts as his own work. He has posted in otherwise abandoned questions and close to his benefit.

But he has amassed a great number of points fairly quickly and the askers normally leave a 'Thanks'.  He is exceptionally fast and so cuts out most other participants, and always must have the last say just in case you post.

I have reported / flagged his comments as suggested, some of which get accepted whilst waiting for intervention. As an old timer TA this new process sucks.

He is exceptionally fast and so cuts out most other participants, and always must have the last say just in case you post.

Vetting experts IS required.
Reviewing them IS required.

Expert Comment

Mark Wills2017-12-14 08:07 AMID: 2080643
Screw this. I just received a very unsatisfactory response. Seems like we must protect this little prick. Next he will be awarded MVE because we no longer understand what a Valuable Expert looks like.

That moment of reassessment is drawing very near and I will let it be known.

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2017-12-14 02:14 PMID: 2080882
Jim, Mark is quite right about my comment (which was marked as a moment of levity by the way, I wasn't being serious).

There is a specific behaviour that bombs questions with multiple answers so that no-one else can get a word in. I have no problem at all with anyone offering an answer, but it is a deliberate strategy designed to exclude all other respondents. God forbid that you should offer a correction to any of his answers (which have been improving steadily thankfully). All hell breaks loose if one of his multiple answers isn't chosen as best solution, and he has worked out that if you break-up an answer across multiple posts you get 90% of all points anyway due to the way points typically get distributed these days. It is an obvious strategy aimed at maximizing points, to the detriment of quality, legibility and the value of PAQs. It is downright annoying as well.

What this specific individual doesn't understand (yet?) is that he is a member of a community and right now his peers do not respect him at all.

His behaviour has made my participation at EE much less enjoyable for many months

Expert Comment

Dustin Saunders2017-12-14 02:17 PMID: 2080888
I have no clue who you're talking about but I'm intrigued if you have a link to a question...

Author Comment

Craig Kehler2017-12-14 02:18 PMID: 2080889
Exactly!  That is the real problem; what is expected from Expert's.    I have to say, it bothers me to no end when someone comments and says more or less the same thing without bringing something new to the table.   It only confuses the thread.  

This is exactly why it takes me a long time to respond here, I have to read all the comments, get called into a meeting and come back to more comments. Not complaining, I'm very happy to have all the feedback but it can be hard to keep up!

From reading a lot of the recent comments perhaps one of the feedback options for other Experts needs to be "Lacking personal expertise".

I am following up on the concern. I apologize if we have not been acting quickly enough on someone who has been harassing in their comments. It will be addressed. Please let's avoid any personal attacks or public shaming.