• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Thumbs Down feature..... Yes or No

I love the Thumbs up option.  I feel more people should use it rather than to regurgitate something that someone else already stated in a previous comment unless they truly are adding additional information to the comment already stated.

Now what about a Thumbs Down option as well when someone spews out incorrect information that may lead someone in the wrong direction.  

Thumbs.png
This discussion maybe one of those that warrant a Thumbs Down.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (56)

Expert Comment

In addition to testimonials, it might make sense for the author to be forced to hand out some flair of some sort to the participants they think were the most helpful or  not helpful, most dedicated etc.  Wouldn't have to give points per-se, but it would be nice to collect flair badgez to display on our profiles and allow us to see which Qs/comments earned them.

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2018-01-05 12:48 PMID: 2089543
I like the idea and I think what we are planning for improving how people can react to questions/comments can facilitate some of this. I am weary of making any extra requirements on the closing of the question because one of the projects we have lined up soon is focused on improving question closure rates by motivating the author to do so. We already struggle with getting author's to close their question, so adding more requirements might make it worse. But if we make it more engaging for them we may be able to get them to close their question and provide additional feedback.

Author Comment

yo_bee2018-01-27 06:57 AMID: 2099616
I was involved in a thread that points were awarded to a solution even after I pointed out that the EE might have mis-quoted or misunderstood the technology.  This is an example that I feel really needed to be pointed out with a thumbs down along with a valid reason why it is getting this rating.  

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29079723/what-are-the-ethernet-and-T1-T3-speeds-what-is-difference-between-these.html?anchor=a42448428¬ificationFollowed=203172638#a42448428

Expert Comment

Mark Wills2018-01-27 08:15 AMID: 2099627
Agree...

And maybe 'we' should reconsider Askers endorsing pots. They endorse a post by awarding points for Best and Assisted Solutions. For them to endorse just means they like it - not a real endorsement in that case....

Endorsement should be for other experts to acknowledge their fellow experts.

At the moment, there are confusing outcomes......

Expert Comment

Craig Beck2018-01-28 02:30 AMID: 2099811
Exactly. How can askers endorse content of comments? Doesn't make sense.

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2018-01-29 12:01 PMID: 2100497
And maybe 'we' should reconsider Askers endorsing pots. They endorse a post by awarding points for Best and Assisted Solutions. For them to endorse just means they like it - not a real endorsement in that case....

Yes we are :)
In many ways endorsements were a good first step, however in their current form they are more suited to Articles, Videos and Group Discussions where members are endorsing the overall contribution or a point being made. For questions more granular feedback is necessary and we need to segment the feedback based on the persona providing it. From the question author we really want to know what solution worked from them and which contributions helped them understand the problem or approach to remedying it. From the Experts we want to know what information they need to help solve the problem, if they agree with another provided solution, and if they can improve upon the solution.

The additions of clarifications is the first step in an initiative to gather more granular feedback and use it in determining the next step or solution. We started there because the most prevalent issue is refining the question to the state that it can be answered. Next we are looking at responses to the comments from authors and experts separately.