• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Expert Awards

https://www.experts-exchange.com/expertAwards/

February is coming and we will see our report cards for Year 2017.

Who will get which awards?

Let's have some fun to predict who will get which awards.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (122)

Expert Comment

I would rather have mine state what they were:  Top Expert.

If you are going to change the name and criteria, I would prefer to not have my old ones changed to the new name with gaps for when I'm no longer 'Distinguished'.

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2018-02-21 01:36 PMID: 2115876
I updated the release notes thread, we will address the labeling. https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/220294/20-February-2018-Release-Notes.html#c2115866

I'm taking a long hard look at how we attempted to go more professional with the descriptions, but in many ways they seem to have lost authenticity. Was there any part of the updates that people found an improvement to the Awards or is the general sentiment: "You shouldn't have messed with them?"

What can we do to improve awards in your eyes other than the list I've gathered.

Look into showing all Distinguished Experts for all topics in the next years awards. Exclusion of some topics leave Experts wondering how they did. Additionally look into custom date range support for Member Rank results.

The Top Expert/Hall of Fame component is coming back to the question page.

We are adding recognition of award winners to profiles right now and will be adding them so they display near your avatar in your comments on site. We should additionally look into giving better ways to display your awards off site.

Previous winners of some of the retired awards don't know what they need to do now for recognition.

The descriptions of the awards are too vague for some, even though they are still predominantly based on points and we are only excluding people for extreme behavior and not responding to moderation attempts.

Expert Comment

Personally I liked the unique names for individual awards.

I also think the Top Experts needs to come back.  I don't need the shirt for it but it sure was nice seeing all my effort rewarded.

If you wish to create a few new ones to single out a few that go above and beyond, so be it.  MVE for example.

For the non-subjective ones, it should be mandatory the rules to achieve them be published.

I have no problem with a Distinguished category but I want to know how I get on the list.

From what has been posted, I need more views of stuff in my TA.  As an Expert, I cannot control that.  Well, I suppose I could write a bot that views every question and article daily.....

Expert Comment

mlmcc2018-02-22 05:34 AMID: 2116289
Agree.

Perhaps you need to have Distinguished Expert (criteria needs to be published) for the selected topics and Top Expert for the remaining topics.
You might want to add Distinguished Rookie for a new expert in a topic that otherwise didn't qualify for the DE award.

My understanding of the Distinguished topics is the top 20(or so) topics measured by activity from askers, authors, and searchers.  Topics with the most Q/A points awarded in the year is part of the criteria.  You also look at other factors for each topic and this is what  we don't fully comprehend.

I understand from your view point that topics that are particularly active (# questions asked/articles written)are more valuable to EE. The remaining topics are still important but less so.

However, experts being volunteers, need some recognition regardless of the topic(s) they specialize in.  This is particularly true of experts who are active in several topics but don't have the time to be in the top echelon.

Another thought is that perhaps some topics deserve more than one DE.  The topic had so many questions asked that 2 or more individuals distinguished themselves.  

Another area that might need recognition are the experts who do other tasks that don't garner them points.  Clean-up, article editors, etc.

With the improvements you have already made, I think you (the collective you as in the EE development team) are finally listening to us (the experts/volunteers) and at least considering our inputs important and relevant. In the past it seemed we were mostly ignored.

Thanks
mlmcc

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2018-02-22 02:44 PMID: 2116702
From what has been posted, I need more views of stuff in my TA.  As an Expert, I cannot control that.  Well, I suppose I could write a bot that views every question and article daily.....
I think I'd rather avoid you having to exploit the metric. :) Really it's two different measurements, how do I measure up in the topics that are most popular on EE and how do I measure up in the topics that are most important to me.

It really seems that the focus should be how you ranked and a way to display your achievements on EE and other sites, like LinkedIn, not whether or not it includes a T-Shirt, trophy or physical item.  

Distinguished Experts used the same criteria as previous Top Experts, with an additional check added to try and focus on professionalism and mentoring over fighting for points. We did a poor job of conveying this. I think the better approach is the current focus we have in how we reward helpful contributions in Q&A and dial back the subjectivity of the current award descriptions. Focus on making the points more meaningful rather than trying to patch the deficiencies when it comes to the awards. Really we didn't change the queries that determine the winners for the rewards at all, but because we gave those new descriptions it cast a lot of doubt on the objectivity. I think the biggest thing that caused this was the fact that the total point number is no longer displayed.

Part of the reason for limiting the number of topics is that it didn't seem as meaningful when it was a long list of topics with some people getting awarded for a contribution of a few questions because that topic wasn't very active. However I think a good middle ground here would be to award the top 20 topics based on popularity (views and points) and still display the full rankings for all topics in another page. As mlmcc pointed out, perhaps this should bring back showing the top 3 in each topic. It doesn't have to be as concise as the high level awards page, rather it needs to show all the data. Similar to this but not limited to the top 50 as it was back then. https://www.experts-exchange.com/expertAwards/annual.jsp?year=2015

To a new user that may seem like too much to consume at a high level, but our long term contributors want that level of detail.

Another area that might need recognition are the experts who do other tasks that don't garner them points.  Clean-up, article editors, etc.
I strongly agree. This is something that I have been discussing with the Mods on our weekly call. We would like to address this after we address the bigger issues with Q&A like abandoning of questions and inactive closures. We are looking at this as a larger "Collaboration Rank" that could be used to measure how well question author's tend to their questions, efforts to clean-up or curate content, etc.

With the improvements you have already made, I think you (the collective you as in the EE development team) are finally listening to us (the experts/volunteers) and at least considering our inputs important and relevant.
Very glad to hear this. We are making a big effort towards continually improving this.

If anyone is interested in being more involved in directly influencing how the awards are defined and executed, please message me. In addition to listening more in these general discussions we are looking at appointing lead volunteers to champion certain areas. For example: Andrew Leniart has been doing a lot of good work in leading up the Senior Page Editor role and coming up with good ideas to help improve the article process.

Expert Comment

I see your long post and raise you this.

Sorry for mixing up the order of my replies but nothing seemed to flow from one point to another and I stopped trying to keep track.

>>I think I'd rather avoid you having to exploit the metric. :)

EE's entire system is built on gaming and you don't want to play by the rules?

Maybe the rules need tweaking?

>>with an additional check added to try and focus on professionalism and mentoring over fighting for points

That sounds a LOT like a subjective step?  I thought I read a few posts back that it wasn't a subjective award.

You posted Gene's blog post on the announcement.  You forgot about this one: https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/218504/2017-Annual-Awards.html

but treating everyone very poorly and not representative of the award by doing a subjective gut check at the end of the year

>>It really seems that the focus should be how you ranked and a way to display your achievements on EE and other sites

That I 100% agree with!!!  I believe that should be and was the core of the awards in the past.  I feel this year failed at that on multiple levels.

>>Similar to this but not limited to the top 50 as it was back then. https://www.experts-exchange.com/expertAwards/annual.jsp?year=2015

Thanks for that link.  I wasn't aware or had forgotten it was restricted.  But notice: it showed how it was defined right there.

Remember:  This year it was Distinguished Expert.  Everything posted about it was Expert based.  It wasn't Popular Topics and those that ranked in them.

>>how do I measure up in the topics that are most popular on EE

As an Expert, I don't really care.  Since you brought it up:  You reward someone with 1,000 points to my 1,000,000,000.  Remind me again why I would want to continue?

>>how do I measure up in the topics that are most important to me.

I know how I measure up in TAs I care about.  I fail to see how this years awards help show that other than to point out the 1,000 to 1,000,000,000 comment above.

>>However I think a good middle ground here would be to award the top 20 topics based on popularity (views and points)

I have no problem if you want to create a new TA based award but remember above, it shouldn't be an EXPERT award.

>>To a new user that may seem like too much to consume at a high level,

I can see things being overwhelming to n00ts but maybe an embedded link to "Show me more"?

I'm an EE n00t that knows the Kaypro 4 or Amiga 2000 (Both of mine still work!!!) inside and out. Might I sign up if I see a TA for it that might only get one question every decade to get an award?

These are this quarter's top performing experts in the fifty most active topics.

Most active topics are the topics with the most points earned and most page views for the specified time frame.

psssttttt.....   notice the typo?  It is an annual page not a quarter....