• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Field Order For New Questions

At the moment, new questions are created by entering question fields in this order ....
  1. DESCRIPTION
  2. TOPICS
  3. TITLE

The above present order is unconventional, and is IMHO somewhat illogical.
Please consider reverting to the conventional ....
  1. TITLE
  2. DESCRIPTION
  3. TOPICS
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (9)

Expert Comment

@MIT - Yup, Maybe I should have put that at the top of my original comment instead of at the bottom.

Expert Comment

Anthony Pangilinan2018-02-16 10:58 AMID: 2112852
The title is meant to be a succinct representation of the problem. It's much easier to write a good title after you've already clearly stated the entire problem. Thus, we're encouraging the users to completely flesh out their problem before summarizing it into a single line title. The goal is to provide the best question possible and, while somewhat unconventional, this approach is meant to guide the user in that direction.

Expert Comment

Modalot2018-02-16 11:30 AMID: 2112869
In addition to too many askers just posting the complete question in the title, as mentioned above, topics are suggested (and automatically added) by analyzing the description.
IMHO it is a good idea to first try to express what you are after, and then summarize in a title and assign topics. This way you have much better focus.

Expert Comment

topics are suggested (and automatically added) by analyzing the description.

I had not realized that's how you were doing so, that was a thought I'd had to suggest some time ago and never did, maybe there might be some tweaking of the fuzzy logic used, I find the topic suggestions are hit or miss.

IMHO it is a good idea to first try to express what you are after, and then summarize in a title and assign topics. This way you have much better focus.

I have to agree, this is why it's easier to write a long email or post and then shorten it or write an "executive summary" or "TLDR" after having written the initial post.

[I'm sorry for writing such a long letter if I'd've had more time it would have been shorter]
-Pascal

Expert Comment

Fred Marshall2018-02-18 05:25 PMID: 2113748
I find the order strange...

Author Comment

Eirman2018-02-19 01:10 AMID: 2113869
The new order may be logical when viewed laterally from certain perspectives.
However, It is, most definitely, highly unconventional!

Time will tell, whether this strange new order defines a new norm.