• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

I submit for your amusement ...

...  the same question (really two questions) asked in both Experts Exchange and Stack Overflow.

Preface:  I'm one of the better English communicators I know, so I'm going under the assumption that this question is easy to understand.    And the question is advanced but not unreasonable.  Also I'm not looking for anyone here to answer the question.

EE
*   Question asking template was pretty easy to use
*   Really didn't care for the view after I asked the question, as it game me the impression that I was no longer in a Premium mode and was bombarded with questions, what are you interests, course selections, etc.
*   Within 15 minutes Mark Wills commented with a pretty rock solid good answer that addressed my first question, where I can build on it and probably figure out the second question

Stack Overflow  
*   Question asking template was not as good, but did give me a 'Here's some solved questions which may answer yours.
*   Some f*&kwheat downvoted my question within 30 seconds with no comments.  What the hell??
*   Within the first 15 minutes multiple experts bust my chops over 'Why am I asking', 'Why do you care', and going off on a couple of tangents.  Hell I thought they were going to hane me.
*   Eventually there are 18 comments and no answer, although the third comment came close.  There are comments and answers, answers are accepted, comments can be upvoted and downvoted but do not answer the question.  Kinda confusing what the difference is between comments and answers.
*   < Six hours of work .. wasn't able to comment>
*  The question is 'put on hold' as 'Question asking us to recommend a book, tool, software...'

For amusement purposes I'll entertain suggestions on how I should close out the SO question.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (26)

Author Comment

Jim Horn2018-03-26 08:56 AMID: 2136264
{must catch up on this post...}  Saw this popup when I opened the chat.  Interesting.  We could probably use this in a few places.. so-chat-popup.jpg

Expert Comment

Andrew Leniart2018-04-03 04:07 PMID: 2140604
I've never bothered spending much time on Stack Overflow.. always gave me the impression it was full of kids. Must take another look at it again one day...   maybe :)

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2018-04-03 11:15 PMID: 2140734
As for most other forums, a lot of newcomers pop up at SO, but to name them kids is perhaps to simplify it too much.

Author Comment

Jim Horn2018-04-04 06:23 AMID: 2140981
>always gave me the impression it was full of kids.
My impression is that it's the first Star Wars movie - Mos Eisley Cantina

Expert Comment

Andrew Leniart2018-04-04 06:25 AMID: 2140985
As for most other forums, a lot of newcomers pop up at SO
Not the newcomers I was referring to.

but to name them kids is perhaps to simplify it too much.
Yeah but trouble is, EE is a G rated forum ;-)

Expert Comment

Gustav Brock2018-04-04 07:10 AMID: 2141017
Still don't know why you people a so busy bashing SO. As said, it's just differently targeted than EE; that doesn't make it a ridiculous bunch of kids. No one pushes anyone to join, so if you don't feel it fits you, just stay home.
That's what I did at UtterAccess which is ruled by some "gods". I can't accept to be treated as a naughty child, so I signed off - much regretted by some (as you'll understand should you study my many postings).