• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

WinZip Official Support can be funny sometimes!

I originally submitted this as a humor article, but a page editor rejected it so I thought I'd share it here :)

Winzip Logo
Summary

This is a detailed summary of an email exchange between myself and WinZip support. Though everything presented here is true and provable, the article is not written to discredit WinZip Support in any way. Rather, it is presented for humour purposes only, so that you may have a bit of a laugh. :-)

The Experience I'd like to share!

I've gotten a lot of good feedback from members at other support sites I'm a member of when I shared this article, so I thought I'd re-post it here so that Experts Exchange members can get a laugh too.

Some background information: I've been an owner of a Winzip Professional license for several years and always upgrade to their latest releases. Yes, I know there are free (and often considered better by many) alternatives like 7-Zip, which by the way I also have installed and use on occasion. Yet I frequently find that the genuine product is needed for some operations, so I tend to purchase commercial products of most software I use on a regular basis.

I found myself needing WinZip support a while ago as they had modified the way and locations of being able to safeguard your license upgrades for a reduced cost. I emailed support and what's below is the entire conversation between myself and WinZip support.  I hope you get a laugh out of it.

Note, names and email addresses have been x'd out for obvious reasons :)

Enjoy..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sent:   Wednesday, 23 November 2016 5:11 AM
To:   'help@winzip.com'
Subject: Protecting purchase with free upgrade option..

Hello,

I just upgraded from WinZip 20.5 to WinZip 21.0

I’ve owned WinZip since many versions ago and I remember I used to be able to pay a fee to get free upgrades to WinZip for a couple of years or so, however I did not see that option when I upgraded to the latest WinZip 21.0

Is this option still available? If so, can you direct me to where I can purchase such an upgrade insurance policy for future versions of WinZip, please?

Many thanks…

Andrew Xxxxxxx

Their [canned response!] reply came back promptly - the very same day in fact.

Sent:   Wednesday, 23 November 2016 7:00 AM
To:   Andrew Xxxxxxx
Subject:   [EB891.1] RE: Protecting purchase with free upgrade option..

Hello Andrew,

Here are your instructions on how to download, install, and register

WinZip 21.0.

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Point your browser to the WinZip web site at:

http://download.winzip.com/winzip210.exe/winzip210.exe/p>

2. Please 'Save' winzip210.exeto your desktop.

3. Double click winzip210.exeto install WinZip.

4. After WinZip is installed, please close WinZip and your browser.

REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS

5. Start WinZip by double clicking on the WinZip shortcut on the desktop. The registration reminder panel will appear.

6. Copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) your name and code as shown below into the appropriate fields:

Registered to: Andrew Xxxxxxx

Registration/Activation code: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

7. Click on the 'Register' button.

The next time you run WinZip, the registration reminder panel will not be displayed.

Note: If you encounter an error during registration, "Could not write data to file, error code = 5", the workaround to the system blocking WinZip from editing WinZip.sureg can be found here: http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/143//kb/entry/143//p>

Your use of WinZip is governed by the terms of the WinZip License. For more information, please go to http://www.winzip.com/license.htm./license.htm./p>

Please save this message for future reference. You might need to re-enter your registration information if you reinstall WinZip or Windows, or upgrade to a new computer or hard drive. Please let us know if you have questions or problems. Answers to a wide variety of questions may be found at the WinZip Knowledge Base at: http://kb.winzip.com/kb//kb//p>

Kevin XxXxxxxx, WinZip Technical Support

Huh ?? As their response had absolutely nothing to do with my query, I decided to email them again...

Sent:   Wednesday, 23 November 2016 9:37 AM
To:   'help1@winzip.com'
Subject:   RE: [EB891.1] RE: Protecting purchase with free upgrade option..

Hello Kevin XxXxxxxx,

Was this response to my question some type of joke?

It’s painfully clear that you didn’t bother to read the Subject line OR my question in the email I sent you.

Here it is again, pasted from below;

Hello,

I just upgraded from WinZip 20.5 to WinZip 21.0

I’ve owned WinZip since many versions ago and I remember I used to be able to pay a fee to get free upgrades to WinZip for a couple of years or so, however, I did not see that option when I upgraded to the latest WinZip 21.0

Is this option still available? If so, can you direct me to where I can purchase such an upgrade insurance policy for future versions of WinZip, please?

I said nothing about having problems upgrading WinZip 21.0 and it’s installed, registered and working fine.

Can you try actually answering my question this time, please ??

Thank you

Andrew Xxxxxxx

Hello Andrew,

My apologies, I did indeed misinterpret your e-mail. [Author comment - misinterpret? [Author Comment] Haha.. Yeah right! I think it would be have far more honest to say he didn't read my email in the first place :-)

Your Upgrade Assurance subscription did expire very recently, however your license was upgraded to version 21 since the expiration was after the launch of WinZip 21. To renew your subscription, please use the following URL:

http://www.winzip.com/offer.cgi?wzm=2&auth=h4-3Narkkw7ghUTfkhtk&crmk=3709873&oc=10&lang=EN&curr=USD/offer.cgi?wzm=2&auth=h4-3Narkkw7ghUTfkhtk&crmk=3709873&oc=10&lang=EN&curr=USD/a>

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards,

Kevin XxXxxxxxx, WinZip Technical Support

Well, at least he had the decency to apologize, even if he did try to cover his reasons for just not reading my original email and providing a pre-prepared scripted reply!

Hope you got a laugh from this! :-)

Cheers, Andrew
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (14)

Author Comment

Andrew Leniart2018-03-26 03:00 AMID: 2135994
you submitted it first, but would have rejected it too ?

Back then I was new to articles and thought it was suitable. A lot of time has passed since then and I've learned a lot. As an editor myself now, I understand why it was rejected ... that's what I meant by saying I'd have rejected it too if it was submitted today for example ;)

why did you X out your own name ?
it's still at the bottom, as EE name

Wasn't when I submitted it... I had big brother syndrome back then :)

Expert Comment

bsod2018-03-26 09:03 AMID: 2136265
>> C'mon guys... How is this unclear?

Perfectly clear... if you bother to read to the end.

When new hires send me emails like that I always reply with:

Please revise your email to put your main assertion/question in the first sentence so I can decide whether or not to read the rest.

It's blunt, prickly even, but it imparts a valuable lesson. Many (many!) people don't read to the end, either because they're too busy or because they have limited ability to absorb and process information. Even the President of the United States has trouble processing written information. So I train newbies to put the most important stuff right at the beginning, where it has the best chance of making an impression.

It's amazing how often people do the exact opposite. Many people seem to think the best way to present something is to build up to it with background info and supporting arguments first, so that their main assertion/question can be fully understood when I reach it. What they don't realize is that, even if I do read to the end, without an initial premise the background info and supporting arguments tend to be forgotten for lack of context.

Expert Comment

BillDL2018-05-08 10:26 AMID: 2161539
I agree with bsod.  The bulk of my written correspondence (email and posted letter) these days is formed by complaints about something or other.  I have found that if I insult the product, designers, staff, etc in the first single line paragraph I always get a response, and it is always a more in-depth and relevant response than if I approached my complaint politely and in a strictly chronological order.  This also works for some telephone complaints, but not all.

The way I see it is if you immediately get somebody's hackles up, that person is more likely to want to nit-pick the complaint in detail to try and discredit the following supporting evidence than if they had been forced to read through several paragraphs to get to the main issue.

Expert Comment

bsod2018-05-08 11:18 AMID: 2161571
It was wise of you to put your main assertion in the first sentence. I probably wouldn't have read the rest otherwise.  ;-)

Expert Comment

bsod2018-05-08 11:44 AMID: 2161573
Reexamining my comment from 26 March, I noticed that I misfired when trying to lump assertions and questions together:

Many people seem to think the best way to present something is to build up to it with background info and supporting arguments first, so that their main assertion/question can be fully understood when I reach it.

I should have said:

Many people seem to think the best way to present something is to build up to it with background info and supporting arguments first so that their main assertion won't be rejected out of hand, or their main question will be fully understood when reached.

But the take-away is the same: the main assertion/question needs to be up front, providing context, for the supporting information to have full impact.

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2018-05-08 12:20 PMID: 2161609
  • I bet his time-to-close stats look reeeeally good.
  • What?  No survey to fill out?
  • My compliments on a delightful rant.