• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

My Questions - remove "Quick Steps to Your Solution:" pane

I don't ask questions often, so I'm frustrated by my view of the question because of the "Quick Steps to Your Solution" pane, which is taking up almost a quarter of my screen realestate.  

How do I hide this pane for my questions?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (9)

Author Comment

Dale Fye2018-05-23 07:16 AMID: 2173444
I thought I had seen something a while back for collapsing that pane, but don't see it anymore (or maybe I was mistaken).

Expert Comment

Modalot2018-05-23 08:29 AMID: 2173534
By collapsiing you would not gain much space. You can see that if you change the browser window width - making it narrow, the side bar will collapse, making it wider will stop to add usable space at some point.

Expert Comment

Rob Henson2018-05-23 08:54 AMID: 2173557
Using this thread as a comparison, the boundary for the member details pane and the comment thread pane is further left than the equivalent boundary on the question screen; not by a lot but that small amount "appears" to make quite a difference.

On my current screen settings, the boundary on this thread comes under the first t of "Contribute" in the search bar whereas on the question screen it comes under the drop-down of the Contribute item. On screen, physically about an inch.

The space to the left of Progress Pane / Members Info pane and the space to the right of the Comments appear to be the same on both; just left of the "Products" item on the left and below the Notification icon on the right.

Both of which could maybe be shrunk unless that impacts on narrower screens, eg mobile devices.

Maybe it is the background colour of the Question screen that gives the compressed look.

Expert Comment

Rob Henson2018-05-23 09:00 AMID: 2173559
@Modalot - when you shrink the browser window enough, the progress pane collapses to a numbered list with an expansion arrow to show more detail. Clicking the arrow expands the pane (across the whole screen rather than just the width of the text items) but also shows a collapse cross at the top right. Maybe the cross should be there when window is maximised, showing expansion arrows when collapsed.

Author Comment

Dale Fye2018-05-23 09:12 AMID: 2173561
If you can expand, you should be able to collapse.

It would be useful if you could collapse any of the panes which show up on the left or right of the screen.

For example, when logging in to EE, I get a screen with the questions that butt up to the left margin and a pane on the right which displays User, Checklist, and Workspace.

When browsing a topic area, I see the questions on the left, and a pane on the right which displays a description of the topic area, and the Top Experts in that topic area.

It would be nice if there was a way to collapse these panes as well, making more room for the questions.

Expert Comment

Craig Kehler2018-05-23 09:44 AMID: 2173583
Good feedback. While many users both new and seasoned have commented that they like the instructional pane, having a way to remove the guide when you don't need it makes sense. As Modalot mentioned it is a responsive design so it automatically collapses when it would infringe on the center pane, but it could still be collapsible if you don't need the instructions. :)