• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Link to Comment!

Is there any chance this could be moved to the 3rd or 4th spot!

I just keep hitting it, (where the edit - used to be at the top!)

I'm assuming here, that Edit and Delete are used more often than Link to Comment ?

Andy
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (9)

Expert Comment

PatHartman2018-06-06 05:29 PMID: 2185928
Thanks.  It was annoying me also.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2018-06-07 05:42 AMID: 2186677
given the small size of the menu, what about having a set of 3 different icons ?

pros : disambiguation including for non native speakers && one fewer click
cons : maybe problematic with small viewports ; i guess there is a reason why this option was discarded

btw, i just noticed the icon is not the same here ( i guess the lobby )  and in regular threads

Expert Comment

Julian Hansen2018-06-07 09:24 AMID: 2187038
Thank you for raising this - it's been depressing the hell out of me - every time I do it I hear a millennial in my head muttering about the older generation and technology.

Expert Comment

PatHartman2018-06-07 09:45 AMID: 2187040
The people who make the changes to the site don't actually use it so without a lot of usability testing, they don't understand how annoying little changes like this can be.  I have no idea what that new option is even there for.  Is it copying a link to the clipboard so I can paste it some other place?  

I like the idea of icons to minimize clicks as long as there is room for them AND you get a description of the functionality by hovering over the icon.  Picture icons can get pretty obscure.

Expert Comment

Alan2018-06-07 04:26 PMID: 2187444
I agree with Pat - always have a hover text to explain what the picture means.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2018-06-08 07:09 AMID: 2188205
off topic, for the sake of discussion

i'd go for having the text in a span and play with css magic to hide the span contents by default, add the icon embedded into the css ( using :before ) and use the original span as a tooltip ( using :hover, on the element which triggers when the icon is hovered ). this looks like black magic, but allows for non-intrusive but complex skinning : the css code can fully decide whether to display the icon, the text, or both.

an easier alternative is to use an empty span with a TITLE property : this allows the same css skinning but is less painful to code. unfortuantely the user is required to use a css-enabled browser

an easy, but slightly redundant one is to stick the text both in the span contents and in TITLE. as easy as the previous option but actually works with older browser for a reasonable toll.