• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Any moderators please pitch in and help

Hi Moderators,
Request your assistance in providing assistance to this frustrated author..
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29103428/Error-5123-When-Attaching-Database.html
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (16)

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2018-06-09 07:53 AMID: 2188988
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29099168/hands-on-experience-with-apt-cache-tools.html

live example of a question i posted and cannot work out.

the question was long and specific and received zero answers.

i have no option to delete it, no option to answer my own question either and i don't seem to be prompted to do anything... wtf can i do to cleanup a question that obviously won't be answered ?

Expert Comment

Rob Jurd2018-06-09 11:25 PMID: 2189289
@skullnobrains,

Can you see the help bell: https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/30983/Need-Tech-Assistance-Let-the-New-Help-Bell-Be-Your-Guide.html.  

Doesn't look like your question has seen any attention from the mods.  We're also getting experts to take on more active roles in order to help others in the community (https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/220481/New-Roles-for-our-Community.html) so I'll get the Solution Guides to see what they can do as well to get the right expert on the case.

Worth seeing what we can do first before deleting the question.

Rob
EE Community Advisor

Expert Comment

Rob Jurd2018-06-09 11:27 PMID: 2189290
btw, thanks Mark for your comment in the thread.  I've also cleaned up the thread.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2018-06-10 02:15 AMID: 2189341
hello @rob.

actually i did miss the bell since it would require scrolling back to the top of a thread and noticing an icon floating over some text. i did see the round stuff that provides the hint once though but there was no bell next to it at that moment and did not figure it was clickable anyway. ( actually probably though it was a leftover from a different window cause by a window manager bug)

may i suggest a tooltip rather than a separate icon to click ? and possibly keep the bell next to the "add a new comment" button ? or in the left pane that provides indications regarding the threads life cycle ?

--

regarding the questions priority, honestly i do not think it makes much sense to let the askers set their own questions priorities. it did when points were scarce. nowadays some guys will flags all their questions as important just because they want faster answers. not sure how meaningfull that is. personally i don't answer much anymore for various reasons but i'd probably neglect many question that is both flagged as urgent and looks poorly asked.

--

btw, as an asker, it is much more frustrating when your question is forcibly closed after you explicitely stated you did not want to close it then when there is no answer at all

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29070212/how-often-will-nginx-query-the-dns-when-configured-with-fastcgi-pass-domain-name.html

... and too bad for future users. it that case, the accepted answer is only partially right and i had lots of extra information regarding that matter after experimenting and reading parts of the source code.

i don't care about a specific question but fail to understand how it is even possible experts can close a question while the asker disagrees with the closure.

--

anyway rob, thanks a lot for your time... i'm not expecting you to dig into my specific issues... just some feedback regarding some newer features and a small disagreement with the tablet ergonomy... some of us still use actual computers and what is convenient and intuitive with a touch screen ( is it btw ? ) is not always easy to use with an actual screen and mouse. but thats just my own personal feeling.

best regards

Expert Comment

mbizup2018-06-13 09:04 AMID: 2193522
skullnobrains,

>>> how it is even possible experts can close a question while the asker disagrees with the closure.

When Experts initiate auto-closures like that, there is a 4-day window in which you can object to that closure.  If my understanding is still current, you can do this by posting a comment with the 'Object' button rather than the Submit button, and it will automatically be flagged for moderator review.  That thread linked in your last comment was IMO a perfect candidate for moderator review.

Expert Comment

skullnobrains2018-06-13 02:51 PMID: 2193881
yep, and thanks for chipping in.

i spent daily time on the forum at that time, and did object to the closure ( i think twice ) and ended up with a most unwelcome "force close" comment and closure. i guess i could have requested moderator's attention but don't really care about this or that thread. my point is it might be acceptable that a moderator forces closure of a thread but clearly no way an "expert" should be able to override an askers objection. which did happen at the time. again the thread is unimportant and a mere example, but the process is at least debatable... maybe there was a bug ( i can confirm i was able to object as expected in other cases ) or i just mistakenly used the wrong button ( is that even possible ? )... i'm actually unsure but i'm pretty sure i've seen such forced unwelcome closures a number of times. and for the record i do not believe a split second that not having closures is going to improve this sad situation.

best regards

@sk