• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

"Helpful" comment vs. "Assisted Solution"

In a previous group discussion, we discussed the difference between an "endorsement" (the thumbs-up icon) and a "helpful" comment, which, at the time, was new. In this discussion, I'd like to understand the difference between a comment marked as "Helpful" and one marked as "Assisted Solution". Does the latter even exist now? Regards, Joe
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (16)

Author Comment

Hi MIT,
Thanks for jumping in. After reading your post, my initial thought was, "That's too complicated." Seems to me the old Accepted or Assisted with point-splitting was just fine, and a lot easier. Now we have Helpful Comments, Not Helpful Comments, Sliders/Bonus Points, along with both Accepted Solutions and Assisted Solutions.

> technically now those are only helpful comments and not accepted solutions which is why nothing is being awarded

To be clear, it wasn't just Accepted Solutions that got UIS credit...it was Assisted Solutions, too. I doubt that a typical asker understands what EE has now turned into a huge difference between an Assisted Solution and a Helpful Comment. Yet, we're asking the authors to distinguish between an Assisted Solution and a Helpful Comment, based on your answers to (1)-(3) above.

If we're trying to make the process easier for askers, why have both marking as Helpful and marking as Assisted? Seems to me they imply pretty much the same thing...ditch one of them. Sure, you could argue some minor differences between them, but we're looking for simplicity for the askers.

> we'll circle back after the call and followup with you on it

I appreciate that.

Regards, Joe

Expert Comment

Rob Jurd2018-08-18 04:24 PMID: 2243747
Joe,

My suggestion to you is to go and ask a question if you haven't already and see how it works.  This is not dismissing your concerns, rather just suggesting you try it if you haven't already.  I recently asked a question and found the process quite straightforward.  

Cheers,
Rob

Author Comment

> if you haven't already

Last question I asked was more than four months ago.

> suggestion to you is to go and ask a question

I considered that, but don't want to waste folks' time by asking a meaningless question. I'll give it some thought. Regards, Joe

Expert Comment

Do you get advised of Questions that have been Answered, where your HELPFUL comment has been selected?

Expert Comment

Modalot2018-08-21 06:27 AMID: 2245698
Not yet.
You get the "New accepted solution:" notification and nothing else. You cannot create a search. So unless you look up above notification and check yourself, you won't notice.

Expert Comment

okay, I'll stop looking for something that's not impemented then!