• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

What is the new "Abandoned Question" process?

Hi Folks,
I was reviewing my open EE tabs and noticed this one:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29119632/Paperport-cannot-send-to-Outlook.html

The last post there was on 27-Sep — 19 days ago. But I did not receive a Help Close email ("The following question you participated in has been inactive for 14 days") and visiting the question does not show it to be in the participant-close phase. I figured there must be a new Abandoned Question process, so I went to the support article for it:

What is an Abandoned Question?

But you can see what happens when you click on that. So, can anyone enlighten me on what to do about questions that haven't had any posts in 14 days or more? Thanks, Joe
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (49)

Expert Comment

AndyAinscow2018-11-08 09:32 AMID: 2282480
When the author closes a question they can now accept their own comments without any problem or prompting the contributing experts to confirm as was available in a previous incarnation of the GUI.

eg.
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29125314/Disable-a-shortcut-from-being-pinned-from-TaskBar-Help.html#a42729470

Where my advice was followed - the asker verified solution was his own final comment basically 'it does work'

ps.  I'm pointing this out because experts can't now accept their own comments wheras the asker can.  Who does EE trust more to get the right call?

Expert Comment

PatHartman2018-11-08 10:03 AMID: 2282497
Sounds like EE might benefit from creating a thoughtful list of questions and surveying the experts  BEFORE jumping in to make random interface changes.

Expert Comment

Modalot2018-11-08 10:27 AMID: 2282505
Andy, you get the notification that the question has been closed. You can then go back and review, and request attention if you think the way the question has been closed isn't just a matter of POV (as you did already).

The assumption is that Askers know what they consider as an answer. They should know because it is their question.
There are potential issues with that, of course. Like: Askers do often not know, are "lazy" accepting the last comment to "get rid of the question", and some more.
We still need to see if such cases are really a big concern, and for that the Mods need to be made aware of questions obviously closed the wrong way, to collect some statistics (and trying to educate the Askers or Experts).

For this particular question, looking from a more remote viewpoint: the asker provided the link, you just confirmed it works. The asker might have thought a "helpful" would be sufficient here ;-). Arguable, but not plain wrong.

Expert Comment

AndyAinscow2018-11-08 11:47 AMID: 2282527
>>... the asker provided the link, you just confirmed it works...

No.  The asker specifically said he did not want to use a specific naming sequence.  The asker did not understand / had not read the article contained other general methods for an app of any name.  I pointed out which section did actually tell how to do what was requested for an app of any name.

Expert Comment

Rob Jurd2018-11-08 12:49 PMID: 2282536
Sounds like EE might benefit from creating a thoughtful list of questions and surveying the experts  BEFORE jumping in to make random interface changes.
Pat. Understand you're frustrated but these comments really aren't constructive. Community was surveyed at large, along with running beta programs giving the community a chance to give feedback.
Always here to hear your concerns and feedback, just make it constructive and we'll always take it on board.

Expert Comment

PatHartman2018-11-08 04:14 PMID: 2282591
I realize that I am nobody but I was never asked about my opinion of any of these "features" before they were implemented.  I'll just shut up now.