• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

"Neglected" status

Has there been a change in the last few months on how questions are marked as "Neglected"?

I've noticed more questions recently that have a "neglected" status, where the question:
 - has only been open for an hour or two
 - has had recent responses (in the last hour)

Are people just requesting attention to their question more now than before, and having the status raised by a mod?  If I remember correctly, in the past a new question without any response for 8 hours would become "neglected".  Now it seems the period has shortened, and is happening on active questions...
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (8)

Expert Comment

serialband2018-11-28 08:55 PMID: 2445362
point inflation

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2018-11-29 06:46 AMID: 2445513
The city next to us is named Edina, which for those of us with a bad attitude is an acronym for Every Day I Need Attention.  I'll have to come up with an equally witty acronym or nickname for these types of questions.

Author Comment

footech2018-12-06 04:52 PMID: 2446763
Thanks all for chiming in.  Point inflation does seem to be the motivation for doing this on active questions.

Expert Comment

Andrew Leniart2018-12-06 05:03 PMID: 2446764
Point inflation does seem to be the motivation for doing this on active questions.

I'm not so sure about that. I know with a couple of questions I've posted myself, that Bell icon looked very tempting when there wasn't a comment to my question for a few hours. I think it could have a lot to do with members having just discovered it's a great way to get attention to their question myself.

Perhaps the Bell icon could be changed so that it's not available until x amount of hours have passed since the question was posted? Not sure that the problem is that big that it requires addressing just yet though.

Author Comment

footech2018-12-06 05:13 PMID: 2446766
Oh, I agree when it's on questions that haven't seen activity for a while, but for questions where the last response wasn't that long ago...  These are the ones I've been noticing lately.

Another possible motivation could be that the asker doesn't feel the current participating expert is giving good advice, but I can't remember the last time I saw a question newly marked as neglected and thought that was the reason behind it.

Expert Comment

Chinmay Patel2018-12-06 06:45 PMID: 2446775
I personally don't mind as long as it is an interesting question. I got into some of the bad ones as well but eh... where is the balance in this world?