• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Latex? Markdown?

Apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate place to post this.  I can't remember if there was a different place for enhancements.

We recently moved to Azure DevOps and the Wiki has been super awesome, it made me think of EE and some of the challenging things in posting things like SQL results.  Two fold:

1.  Latex?  Any way that could ever be implemented?  Idk if it's common, but sometimes its nice to post a formula to explain why you are writing what you are writing without linear parenthesis encapsulation.  Would be nice for articles too that elaborate on the related mathematical principles.
2.  Markdown view?  Could I toggle my answer from the rich editor to a markdown editor and do things like build tables and drop in headings to make an answer and detailed explanation easier to follow?

Might not be a market for those features here, if not, no sweat.  But on my Christmas list now.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (13)

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2018-12-08 06:47 AMID: 2446879
For printing? Goodness, no
I dont even own a printer

**bold**
*italic*
    4 space indent = code
[Hyperlink](https://blah)

Simple markup for simple edits.

Expert Comment

Gerald Connolly2018-12-08 10:56 PMID: 2446908
The problem with a markup language is that you never know what you are going to get until you process and display the resultsf

Author Comment

Dustin Saunders2018-12-09 02:16 AMID: 2446916
The problem with a markup language is that you never know what you are going to get until you process and display the resultsf

?

Have you used markdown before?  It's extremely simple to use, which is why code wikis all have it. and there is a preview option to review posts before submitting if you're unsure but if you were to swap to markdown (as suggested, the option to change to it) even a SxS editor is easy enough.

Check out this example, you can see how simple it is to format a response that is much more intuitve and easy to see what is what:
Markdown.png

Author Comment

Dustin Saunders2018-12-09 02:20 AMID: 2446917
And latex, makes putting math or explanation formulas simple to put into a very readable format.
Latex.png
If I wanted to write this out it'd look like
x=(1/(1-y))+(n^2)

Harder to parse with a human brain that way.  When posting in C#,SQL, and especially Excel world-- super duper beneficial.

Here's another quick example with some inline code:
Inline.png

Expert Comment

Gerald Connolly2018-12-09 05:46 AMID: 2446924
Until you can see it on a printed page, even if you can see a preview before hand, you will always find problems in differences between the rendering in the viewer and the printer

But you can do all that with MS Word for example

You can even do code in this text box

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2018-12-09 02:09 PMID: 2446946
Not being able to see until you preview, that's what happens already:
and this is better?
well WYSIWYG editors are possible, or simultaneous preview is an option too

simultaneous preview