• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

How do you hide a member?

The page Manage Hidden Members is listed in the "Feed Customization" page of Settings, but I can't find a way to add someone to the list. Is that functionality being removed or something? I hadn't used it before, but want to now.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (11)

Expert Comment

AndyAinscow2018-12-09 07:21 AMID: 2446928
>>I tried doing this for anonymous members, but this didn't work when anonymous asking was introduced.

Any alert I receive I look at who submitted the question.  To me anonymous means ignore the question.
quick rant:  I see no reason to allow anonymous questions - one can invent a user name for ones account so the only reason I can conceive of using anonymous is that you want to bypass any sort of personal blacklist.  It is annoying to help someone and then they abandon the question / accept any random comment to close...  One gets to know some user names of regulars that do this after a while.

Author Comment

David S.2018-12-09 08:57 AMID: 2446935
Thanks, Andrew, but that menu item only seems to appear on the Posts page and I don't see any of Rabbit's posts there. Perhaps only members of the experts program have posts show up there?

I look at some questions asked anonymously, but it does cause me to hesitate.

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2018-12-09 02:01 PMID: 2446945
The manage hidden members is only designed for the "feed" as far as I know. If you are expecting to affect saved searches then I think you will be waiting quite some time for those instructions.

As akimark states:
>>"I have a custom search ... and exclude anything asked by a couple of members."

i.e. you need to add a blacklist into each saved search

Expert Comment

aikimark2018-12-09 06:11 PMID: 2446951
There isn't a way to specify an anonymous member in my blacklist

Expert Comment

PortletPaul2018-12-09 07:02 PMID: 2446953
yep, got it (There isn't a way to specify an anonymous member in my blacklist), understood

There is a way to exclude named users.... BUT it is done for each saved search
exclude-users.png

Expert Comment

Scott Fell2018-12-10 11:24 AMID: 2447051
If there are any members that seem to have trouble using the site, please contact one of the Moderators either via messaging or report a question or comment which will raise an RA.  When you request attention in that manner, only Moderators, Topic Advisors and site Administrators can view the RA along with the member that reported.

Keep in mind that most members have the best of intentions and factors such as a language or cultural barrier to somebody just being new and confused can come into play. Dustin's advice is on point.

when I see a new member asking "malformed" questions, after 2 or 3 times of giving direction in a post on how to include more relevant info I see the quality improve

For these types of group discussions, please focus on using the site and constructive discourse. Please leave out pointing out individual members and instead report those specific issues to use to work with privately.

Thank you,
Scott
EE Moderator