• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

When points are awarded, but you know.

I feel that as a major contributor to the forum the Experts I think have the responsibility to validate the solution awarded. What I mean is if the Asker closes a solution, but the suggestion that was rewarded was not a solution at all or not really the right solution the Expert I think has the responsibility to point this out and request that the question be reopened and the proper solution be select.

What are your thoughts ?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (73)

Expert Comment

Scott Fell2019-03-08 07:48 AMID: 2459557
First, these questions tend to stretch in their comments.  Second, they often have some type of deviation in the process of arriving at an answer.  I've spent time on more than one occasion working with someone on the wrong question, discover that and help them get to the right question,
This is not the fault of the person asking a question because they are already confused or they wouldn't have asked.  Being able to guide somebody to the right question is a sign of a good Expert.
some other first poster swoop in, answer that and get the points.
This sounds like one of the real issues and something that has been brought up for EE to address. When this happens, report the question for the Moderators.  We will look at these on an individual basis and also forward the examples with expected outcome to Rob and Craig in our weekly meetings. I can't speak to where EE is on a solution, but I can tell you we have made it top of mind.

The more they abandon questions or close them with questionable (ahem) solutions
The same for these situations, when you see a pattern of behavior you feel is wrong, report the question or member.  The Moderators or Customer Service will work with Members to educate how to get the most out of using EE and in most cases, this fixes the issue.

Author Comment

yo_bee2019-03-08 08:52 AMID: 2459562
Here is a great comment by an EE Contributor (Steve) that was awarded the full amount of points, but not real idea what the actual solution was.  His comment was in response to mine, but this is what I want to see more of.  

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29138493/Redirect-emails-from-terminated-employee-to-another-employee.html#a42815995

Expert Comment

atlas_shuddered2019-03-08 10:23 AMID: 2459576
@Scott F., it is still a quality control issue on the part of EE, regardless of how it gets parsed.  Though I appreciate your input, the general idea you are proposing puts the responsibility for quality control of EE back on the contributors with no proactive avenue of relief.  Again, I answer questions for the purposes of filling the time.  If EE is going to tell me that quality control of their site is my responsibility, my response is going to be, get bent.  I can answer questions enough to get the account paid for.  The day that I cannot, I will move on but I am betting that when that day comes, it will be because of a lack of trust for the site within the larger IT community due to a lack of quality, ergo less questions being asked, not for lack of relevant input.

Again, if EE doesn't care enough to give me, as contributor, some type of proactive QC protection, then I don't feel motivated to act in a reactive stance.  The site profits from my engagement with the other half of its userbase, I'm not inclined to provide even more of my time for EE's profit with no reciprocal commitment on its part.

Expert Comment

atlas_shuddered2019-03-08 10:42 AMID: 2459583
To the point that I am trying to make - here is an example from today:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29136302/Converting-4-sites-connected-via-fiber-Flat-network-all-on-vlan-100.html?notificationFollowed=225218382

Spears gives this asker the core of what he is asking for and then asks for him to clarify a couple of things.  I confirm and agree with Spears.  Long comes in on the tail end, confirms the two of us, asks Spears questions in a different way, makes no contribution that could be rated as "better" on really even additional but is awarded the lion's share of the points.  

The current remedy for this is for one of the three to submit for review.  This may get the points shuffled.  It may even improve quality control.  But.  But!  There are a couple of glaring problems.  

First, it is fully dependent on one of us to interact further, burn more of our time to make sure that EE's database is trustworthy.  That responder is not going to be me as I've already stated.  I get on average one of these a week.  EE removed the ability to object directly, which I once was willing to do.  Now, I get to report the question and then fill out a summary, babysit said report and potentially have to argue my perspective/position.  That is a crap ton of work to expect from a resource you are leveraging for well below what they are actually worth.

Second, if this individual comes in and does this again (as I am betting he will - just looking at the pick of answers it appears that he was just being lazy in selection and just looking to close), there is absolutely no proactive indicator that he may.  Where does that leave the respondents?  The whole process over again.

EE wants me to be an engaged community member to build their product and QC it.  I'm down with that.  I want EE to give me the ability to be more realistically engaged than I am today.

Expert Comment

Andrew Leniart2019-03-08 03:18 PMID: 2459623
@atlas shuddered, for what it's worth...

To the point that I am trying to make - here is an example from today:

I looked over that question carefully just now and having done so, agree with your conclusions. As a result, I awarded both yourself and spears an Expert verified solution. Not that you got that many points (only 250 each) for my endorsements, but fair is fair and why I think that Renowned, Trusted, and Verified Expert selected solutions should carry a much higher reward value.

Regards, Andrew

Expert Comment

atlas_shuddered2019-03-08 04:49 PMID: 2459631
Thanks Andrew.  Now if we can just make some headway on rating Inquirers.