• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

I am sick and tired of people posting their homework disguised as a question

This is (and has been) getting ridiculous. It's not until you're about 3 or 4 rounds in that it becomes clear the OP is a student or complete novice "professional" that is lazy. Too lazy, in fact, to go through a simple 5 minute tutorial to get the fundamentals they need in order to properly ask a question here.

I don't have a problem helping people, but I DO have a problem with lazy people wasting my time. I kid you not, the last 4 "Neglected Questions" I participated in are easily answerable with a simple Bing/Google search. If the EE expectation is that we're to hold the hands of people too cheap to invest in their own development, then I'm out.

Someone from EE please respond?

Thanks.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (37)

Expert Comment

Jim Dettman (EE MVE)2019-03-06 11:50 AMID: 2459237
<<The moral responsibility lies with the asker. >>

While that's true, it's the community that provides the guidelines as to what's right and wrong (ethics), so not speaking out is not an answer either.  I don't see anything wrong with EE/Experts taking a stand and if they go somewhere else, so be it.

But as we've often discussed, it's a hard problem to wrap your arms around and as always, it comes down to what the individual Expert expects/is willing to offer, and the choice is always there to move on.

Jim.

Expert Comment

Brian B2019-03-07 05:31 AMID: 2459347
I can see both sides, but I guess the point is don't berate the Author for doing something that is permitted. Discuss it here or report it to the mods.

Expert Comment

atlas_shuddered2019-03-07 01:32 PMID: 2459414
I think my post here:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/discussions/222023/When-points-are-awarded-but-you-know.html#c2459411

Is applicable to this thread and the mentioned issue as well.

Expert Comment

PatHartman2019-03-08 08:08 PMID: 2459636
In the Access forum at least, it is pretty easy to identify a school assignment.  Most of the time the first expert will point out that we're here to help but not to do the homework and ask the poster to post more specific questions rather than the general problem statement of - I have to build an app for a video store.  It needs to blah, blah, blah.

Expert Comment

Jim Horn2019-03-12 08:43 AMID: 2459901
>It's not until you're about 3 or 4 rounds in that it becomes clear the OP is a student or complete novice "professional" that is lazy.
Just to play Devil's Advocate here, perhaps the issue is that you need to increase your 'student or complete novice' detection skills.   After awhile they are not difficult to identify and either completely ignor or handle.

>My apologies, all for the soapbox rant during my OP
Not at all.  My compliments on a fine rant.

Expert Comment

noxcho2019-03-12 01:51 PMID: 2460027
After working several years in technical support team I do not let my feelings out with the people who ask “dumb” questions :)))
Believe it or not but there are still people who don’t know how to use search engines and the search words.
So just forgive them and help.