• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Notification Overhaul

I would like to address the elephant in the room when it comes to notifications.

First and foremost, I would VERY MUCH like to see notifications about questions I am actively participating in separately from other notifications.

This could mean either a new "Priority Queue" of notifications, or a de-prioritization of other notifications to a new "tertiary queue.

IE currently we see messages (which are few) and we see notifications (Which are Many).

Notifications currently encompass three main Groupings:

1) All updates about questions and discussions you are actively participating in. (Comments [Expert/Author], Status Changes [Requests {help/close/delete/review}, Close{author/force}, and Advisor/Admin Edits (Topic edits/post edited/etc}], and Flare [Expert])
2) All Topics and searches you set up to find new questions to answer.
3) All Topics you have opted into neglected questions support on.

I believe we need to at least add one more full queue (if not several) of Notifications, and/or ad some form of tagging and filteriginto these.

A set of message "classes" or "tags" to diferentiate their ancestor/decendant relationships in ways that make sense for our workflows.

For instance I think i would like to see a Queue of just neglected questions, but I might want to prioritize or sort by topics or esee each as it's own separate queue under the total heading, but I definitely want them separate from my other notifications.

I would personally probably create several queues if I could and have them be filterable within those.

Such that I would have "NOTIFICATIONS" on any question I am actively participating in (but could select some and shun them to a "tier 2"  if too chatty, or even "stop following" perhaps.)

This for me would include the notifications for flare on the comments and points awards, but I would not at all mind being able to filter these or change what is in each queue, as I'm sure others would prefer to change that around some.

I swing back and forth on how I would really like to see my total set of notifications organized into different queues and filters, but I think that simply means we really need to have that flexibility to do that sort of sorting on our own.

Key to that would be every source of a message and every different message type by that source would have a set fo tags to ID them that we could then create multiple filtered queues to look though on notifications, and decide which get their own icon, or are a sub icon that bubbled up just their number into a heading Icon..

IE maybe I want to have my topic search of CMD as it's own notification group, that actually alerts me

but maybe I also want to group CMD and powershell and VB into a single icon hat has three sub-queues I can look at on a single page or as a single queue with filters.

These are all just Ideas, but I absolutely, positively have to say, give us at the very least, a "Priority" queue" let us mark the messages we want to be in there and which messages from within those areas we want there.

(IE messages by the author on actively participated questions, messages by other experts on actively participated questions, flare on my questions/commend, points awards and status changes for my actively participated questions.)

If we can at least have that as the "Notification" bell, and a new Icon for everything else, I think that covers 90% of what we want, I might be missing something, but If you could at least give us that, that would be so nice.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (7)

Expert Comment

John2019-03-22 03:25 PMID: 2461891
For ordinary members with no responsibilities like me, what you want is already here and has been for 18 months or so.

I only see notifications for questions I post in, nothing else.

So I think you can get what you want by selecting only notifications for participated questions

Expert Comment

David Johnson, CD2019-03-22 04:02 PMID: 2461898
in my mail client I set categories based upon the subject and then each category has it's own search folder i.e.
Experts Exchange, Neglected Question, Author Comment, Help Resolve, Pending Update, Expert Comment.
Expert-Alert Hourly

Expert Comment

Qlemo2019-03-23 01:30 AMID: 2461923
Best practice is to switch off as much as possible from notifications, and only keep what you cannot get with saved searches. Whether those saved searches create emails or not is an additional detail to decide.
I for my part rely heavily on emails, as I can process them programmatically (reformat, extract, apply more further filtering, categorize aso. E.g. I only keep the first "comment" email of a question until reading the thread.

Having said that, I agree it would make notifications more useful if you could use non-destructive display filters. But nothing complex, as then saved searches should be used.

Expert Comment

Lucas Bishop2019-03-26 02:14 PMID: 2462389
For instance I think i would like to see a Queue of just neglected questions, but I might want to prioritize or sort by topics or esee each as it's own separate queue under the total heading, but I definitely want them separate from my other notifications.

@ben -- if the answer page had a filter for "neglected" (similar to the "participated only" filter) would that provide the queue you're envisioning?

Author Comment

Best practice is to switch off as much as possible from notifications

Which actually supports my argument by highlighting that the current implementation of Notifications are not providing value if the correct use case is not to use them.

I for my part rely heavily on emails,
and
in my mail client I set categories based upon the subject and then each category has it's own search folder

Exactly what I Do not want to do, rely more on email.  

I would like to be able to use the site more effectively through the mechanisms in the page itself and the mobile app, and suggest improvements to that end, instead of relying on work-arounds, otherwise, why have the feature at all if we should disable or abandon it in order to use it more effectively?

Besides I have too much email, I don;t love having to look through more, and I usually prefer to see the nice summarized view of this info that is displayed int he notifications on web and app, but would also like to make the new notifications I now have access to similarly useful to me.

Author Comment

@ben -- if the answer page had a filter for "neglected" (similar to the "participated only" filter) would that provide the queue you're envisioning?

----
Edit:  In Short,  Yes!  I think that is an excellent suggestion.

I believe It would lead to a better addressing of the actual goal of the neglected questions notifications - allowing experts who have gained access to have such a view of the answer questions page, to answer those questions which need more attention, and provide better value to the asker by highlighting their questions on E-E to those experts who are verified etc.

This in turn, meets my goal of wanting to still prioritize those notifications but not have them drown out my actively participated Questions notifications flare and points alerts which drive my participation in the site.  We can then implement the work-around of unsubscribing fro these notifications to clear the list to be only those directly relevant while still having a way to look on and provide more value for askers who have neglected questions which meet our topics of interest.

----

That would in general be a very nice have, I would like to be able to see more then one queue of into on several views, and neglected questions are sometimes my first priority, sometimes my last, sometimes it's "whatever is interesting" so I would love to be able to have a filter there that included them/excluded them, or showed only them.

My main thing is I get hundreds of neglected and similar notifications, why even have them if they drown out the more useful notifications about Qs I'm actively participating in?

A way to filter them would mean I wouldn't feel "Bad" about abandoning those notifications entirely so I could have the normal notifications be more meaningful, but it does take away the urgency factor that I think having notifications about them was supposed to provide, still, since it seems most people set notifications for neglected questions off, it was not really providing that value in the first place.

Surely a prominent method to flip between active and neglected questions in the Contribute answers page would be much more actively used by experts and provide more askers with an experience of getting their questions answered, so I'm all-aboard on that! :)