• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Site Navigation and Dashboard beta

Greetings Experts,

We are excited to announce that the Site Navigation and Dashboard beta for Experts has been released today. Our goal is to provide quick access to the most commonly used areas of the site based on your feedback and analytics collected from the current navigation and feature usage.

On the beta dashboard, you'll find many components of the current home page and a few new additions. We've added quick links to all of our content creation wizards. Additionally, you will find a summary list of new comments (since your last view) on content you've participated in or are monitoring. Below the Suggested Questions list, we've also displayed askers who you’ve recently helped. This is the first of a few upcoming elements designed to highlight our appreciation for all the help you provide.

While in the beta experience, you can send feedback at any time by using the gray "Give feedback for the beta dashboard" button beneath the header. We look forward to everyone trying the beta and sharing their feedback.

Christopher Rourke
Product & Quality Assurance Manager
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (38)

Author Comment

Christopher Rourke2019-04-19 09:26 AMID: 2466357
Hello again all,

We are receiving a great deal of positive and constructive feedback, and I want to thank you all again for letting us know what you like and what you miss in the beta navigation & dashboard. Based on your feedback here's a few of the items we're working to address first:
  • Increase contrast of the text on the black header to improve visibility
  • Provide a list of participated questions accessible from the My Question link in the header
  • Links to your submitted Articles & Videos on the dashboard

I'll comment again when each of the items above are ready for release.
-Christopher Rourke

Expert Comment

John2019-04-19 09:51 AMID: 2466359
Also please be sure we have a Light header (as we have now) for those of us who need it

Expert Comment

Martin Liss2019-04-19 02:47 PMID: 2466441
Chris. I don't think that the emperor is wearing pants here. (For anyone not familiar with the phrase please see The Emperor's New Clothes, a story by Hans Christian Andersen). I for one am perfectly happy with the current navigation and I assume that a lot (if not most) of other Experts feel the same way. Why do you think that the beta is better?

Expert Comment

I often ask folks, "Why?" My least favorite answer is, "Because we've always done it that way." That said, I'm not a fan of change-for-the-sake-of-change, which is how this one strikes me. I'm with Martin on this...the current navigation is fine, with the Messages, Notifications, and Workspace drop-downs, along with emails, providing everything that I need to participate successfully at EE. To borrow Martin's language, I'm "perfectly happy" with it. While I would never discourage improvement, I don't think that any is required in this case. Knowing that EE, like all organizations, has limited development resources, I'd rather see them go to other areas that are more in need of improvement. Regards, Joe

Expert Comment

John2019-04-20 10:39 AMID: 2466476
For the record, I am not concerned with which way we do things.  I will adapt.

But the site needs to be readable and the new beta is not readable - very low contrast.  

I am not sure why unreadable low contrast sites are in vogue right now, but to quote Martin above

"The emperor has no clothes"

Expert Comment

Mike McCracken2019-04-20 09:00 PMID: 2466506
Agree with John, Joe, and Martin.  I just switched between the 2 and the old is much easier to read.