• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Articles no longer being "Approved"?

I noticed the other day, that since January 2015(!) none of my articles has been marked as "Approved".
I must admit, that I have lost what "Approved" imply, not to say who or what approves an article, or what the criteria may be.

With no "Approved" stamp, an article may appear as "not approved" which makes no sense to me, as most of my articles contain superior code not found elsewhere.

Expert Comment

Dale Fye2019-10-24 07:32 AMID: 2507891
"most of my articles contain superior code"

Rather cocky, don't you think, Gustav!

;-)

Expert Comment

Andrew Leniart2019-10-24 04:54 PMID: 2507953
Hi Gustav,

The current guidelines for how an article reaches "Approved" status can be found here. The relevant part is:

3. Approved | Community Pick OR Editor's Choice
An article reaches "Approved" status by reaching "Community Pick" status (awarded an additional 3,000 points once it receives 15 endorsements from members of the Experts Exchange Community) OR "Editor's Choice" status (Experts Exchange Editors identify the article as an exceptional submission and would like to recognize it as such).

Those guidelines are currently under review and discussion so may (or may not) change in the future.

Hope that's helpful.

Regards, Andrew
Experts Exchange Senior Editor
Private Message Me

Author Comment

Gustav Brock2019-10-24 11:12 PMID: 2507964
Thanks Andrew, but then something has changed, because those articles of mine that are "Approved" have 5, 6, and 7 endorsements only.
15 endorsements from members of the Experts Exchange Community one would never reach in Topic Area "Microsoft Access" as that would mean that just about every active fellow expert should fall in love with an article. That will not happen.

Also, based on the current criteria, the label should be named "Community Pick" or "Popular", not "Approved".

Expert Comment

Andrew Leniart2019-10-25 03:12 AMID: 2507974
something has changed, because those articles of mine that are "Approved" have 5, 6, and 7 endorsements only.

Yes, there are circumstances when the Approved status is given for other than the listed guidelines - that's why they're "guidelines" and not "rules" set in stone.

The Experts Exchange editorial team is also empowered to request the promotion or additional recognition of articles regardless of endorsements, number of comments, points or even views. An article can be approved if it is considered a particularly well-written piece that required little to no editing and is an enjoyable read.

The team may also decide an article is particularly helpful to the topic being written about, which is useful for Topic areas with not as much traffic as other topics may enjoy. There are no hard and fast rules about when or which article can be put up for an Approved accolade, but it generally requires a discussion and an overall consensus from the page editing team before it will happen. That prevents editors from rewarding only their favorite authors so such manual recognition is reserved for what is considered to be exceptional submissions only.

It's not a practice done very frequently, or an "Approved" accolade would soon lose meaning. But that may explain why perhaps some of your articles have received more recognition than others. Generally, you should get a congratulatory note when an article has been manually approved with a short note explaining why from the approving editor, but if that hasn't been the case, please feel free to PM me about the articles you're wondering about and I'll look into who approved it (or them) and why.

Also, based on the current criteria, the label should be named "Community Pick" or "Popular", not "Approved".

I note your point, and as I mentioned earlier, the guidelines are currently under discussion and review. I've been discussing those guidelines with Rob Jurd and other EE staff of late, but those discussions are still in the early stages and I'm personally still working on a draft that I think is appropriate. Combined will all other site duties and real-life often getting in the way, the wheels can often move slowly, so no announcements or calls for discussion on the topic have yet been made.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) have any ideas as to how those guidelines should read and accolades be applied, then I'm more than happy to listen, discuss, and take any serious comments and suggestions on board.

Regards, Andrew
Experts Exchange Senior Editor
Private Message Me

Author Comment

Gustav Brock2019-10-25 05:01 AMID: 2507984
Thank you for the more than adequate explanation.
I'll encourage you to proceed with your draft and the discussions with the other editors.