• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Thoughts on Microsoft's announcement to end Internet Explorer

What does our community think about Microsoft's announcement to end Internet Explorer. Is this good or bad? What do you think about the new browser, codenamed Project Spartan? Is this going to be a game changer or a flop?  Is it simply a rebranding exercise? Thoughts from our experts welcomed  - especially from the MVPs.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (93)

Expert Comment

Nick672015-03-23 10:10 AMID: 229592
Looking at the various third-party stat counters, and the discrepancy between them, their results and their methodologies, I find nothing  definitive.  Moreover, given the multi-billion dollar stakes involved, I am not persuaded that ANY of the stats are anything but a very rough approximation of the state of roughly 2 billion devices and a trillion pages.   I've given you more data, but you keep ignoring them.  I'm not ignoring them, I just don't see the secondary and tertiary effects that your interpretation of the data suggests.  Logic suggests that if IE use was falling off a cliff, and supporting IE is a pain point of diversity, that the number of sites that are broken in IE should be ramping up as the web dev community eliminates that pain point.  Except I don't find ANY sites in my work and personal life that don't function in IE 11.

So we agree to disagree on the state of IE usage and support.

Here's a nice little bit on what Spartan is after doing.
Namely, breaking backward compatibility in a big way.
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/01/26/inside-microsofts-new-rendering-engine-project-spartan/

Which is something many pundits cheer, and end-users detest.

Expert Comment

serialband2015-03-23 12:56 PMID: 229601
IE was once at above 90% of the market and now they're down to around 50% or possibly less.  That is a definite downward trend even if they have stabilized because of IE11.  You can't expect them to completely ignore that trend. That would be utter suicide for Microsoft.  You seem to want IE to remain with the Trident renderer and broken older IE8 support.  They need to drop all that and move on.  We'd still have DOS if Microsoft didn't switch gears and move to NT.

Nobody breaks sites for IE on purpose.  As you've said "Correlation is not Causation".  IE is also supporting webkit sites now.  They would be stupid not to.  Just because a site isn't broken when rendered in IE doesn't mean that people aren't switching.  There's still plenty of IE users.  I never said there wasn't.  I said the number of users of IE have diminished and the number of Chrome users have increased.

Expert Comment

Nick672015-03-23 01:24 PMID: 229603
Ok, I acknowledge your position.
You seem to want IE to remain with the Trident renderer and broken older IE8 support.  They need to drop all that and move on.
Absolutely not.  That would be sheer and utter suicide. Nor, if you look at the link in the previous post, is that at all what they are doing.

Way back at the very beginning

I can cite a hell of a lot more examples where the whole throw-out-all-that-old-cruft-and-to-hell-with-it-if-it-breaks-backwards-compatibility was a >$1Billion screw-up.  There are two sides to the tug-of-war of change.  There's the it's-busted-and-in-the-ditch,-hurry-up-and-be-agile crowd and the for-god's-sake-I-spent-umpteen-brain-cells-getting-this-to-work-DON'T-SCREW-WITH-IT-FOR-A-DECADE crowd.

Ask FireFox how listening to the insta-rev, fast-iteration crowd worked out for them.
Change has costs.  And people will accept that so long as change brings order-of-magnitude improvements.
When it doesn't, that's when folks get grumpy
We work with two software packages that demand yearly renewals + service packs, and another that requires updates on-use at frequent, irregular intervals.  All are thoroughly despised.

Heck, nobody's even in a hurry to do Android or iOS upgrades anymore.  Significant risk for little perceived benefit.
Definitely NOT the way MS should go.  They've kept click-to-run Office 2013 updates to a minimum and not broken things when they have pushed changes out.  Even so, they cause suspicion.  Everyone recalls XP SP3 and Office 2000  SP3, if they lived through them.
You only get to screw up so many times.  Best to minimize the rolls of the dice, and be certain to deliver joy and pain.
Deliver pain without joy too often, and your deliveries stop :)

Expert Comment

MikeOM_DBA2015-04-19 12:02 PMID: 1728495
Good it;s gone, I never used it -- seemed to me a piece of junk.
Always use Firefox and Chrome.

Expert Comment

John2015-04-19 12:17 PMID: 1728496
It has worked fine for me for 2 decades and a recent study (ZDNet) shows that IE market share in North America exceeds 60 percent.

We should each use what we wish to use and not pan other people's choices.

Expert Comment

Nick672015-09-09 08:20 AMID: 1753574
OK,
The missus decided that she'd deep-six Win 8.1 on her tablet in favour of Win 10 -- on the 1st of August.
Yesterday she asked me how she could install Chrome on the tablet post-upgrade.

Edge just doesn't work right on too many of her important sites to screw with anymore.

So, I found out how to pin IE to the taskbar and start menu, and make IE the default and not Edge
And I installed Chrome for her
On her taskbar IE comes first, Chrome second, edge third.

I suspect Edge won't get fired up again for a very long time.
Happy wife, happy life.

I said that Edge would be a success if it seamlessly handled all sites that IE11 did.
It doesn't.
As of 9-Sep-2015, Edge is a failure.
Perhaps that will change as IE continues to age and Edge improves, but right now the PITA of incompatibility has dropped it to an afterthought in my sample size of one.

YMMV

Nick67