• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

What are all these other domains doing for EE (e.g. optimizely, newerelic, redsourceinteractive, googletagmanager)

I use Firefox with the NoScript add-in. I'm curious about the list of domains that want to establish a connection when I browse EE.
What do these add to the EE user experience?
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (7)

Author Comment

Simon2015-01-17 04:23 PMID: 141812
I only see them because I run NoScript with Firefox. It lists out all domains other than the site I'm explicitly connecting to and allows me to trust or block them (temporarily or permanently) - I use it to prevent tracking cookies etc and cross-site scripting etc.

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-01-17 06:40 PMID: 141814
Redsource Interactive is the company that owns Experts Exchange LLC (Randy Redberg); all of the customer service/account type information is there. NewRelic builds software that aids in bug testing; optimizely does the same thing for mobile. Google TagManager is used by the marketing folks to manage website tags for analytical purposes.

Expert Comment

COBOLdinosaur2015-01-18 09:46 AMID: 141877
You have stuff for Marketing because SLO is too busy to write internals to get the results with less overhead; plus we have the bug testing stuff because apparently SLO is too busy doing Marketing stuff to do complete testing; and they seem not interested in doing something as ligical as user acceptance testing.  And of course we have to load in Community support stuff because that is part of the Marketing tools and on EE, Marketing stuff always comes first, and if loading in all the external stuff slows down the page load time; so what. Everyone knows that free trials are more important then response time, and usability.

Cd&

Author Comment

Simon2015-01-18 02:53 PMID: 141909
@Netminder: Thanks for the info. I guess I'll leave them blocked as the site appears to work without allowing them.
@COBOLdinosaur: Thanks for weighing in! I think we're of like mind on a lot of this stuff.

It always bugs me when I have reason to communicate with a site, but it wants to share my details with a lot of its 'friends'. I'm not a social media person, and I want to see EE working well as a technical forum rather than anything else. In my back-brain, I'm wondering how much time/effort to invest in the site and where it's going. EE seems a diminished force compared to when I was last active in 2010/11. I'm slightly reassured by Netminder's explanation of who other domains are, but seeing a list of other domains is always a bit of a turn off.

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-01-18 05:32 PMID: 141929
If there's one thing EE has always been better than most about, it's that it DOESN'T share information about its members with other companies. It found out a long time ago that the advertising model doesn't pencil out over a long period of time (unless you're both the buyer and seller of the advertising and can set the price in both directions, e.g. Google).

Expert Comment

Uni Kitty2015-01-19 09:55 AMID: 142028
Optimizely - Allows us to do some A/B experience testing outside of releases
NewRelic - Profiles our application to give us insight into site performance and user experience.  NewRelic shows up to the end user because we have it set up so we can gather Real User Metrics on how fast our pages are loading.
Redsource Interactive - We launched our microsites under this company name.  We used this domain for any internal services that spanned all sites. On EE, currently socket.io still uses the redsourceinteractive domain.  Socket.io is what makes stuff like the notification counter update without a page refresh.
Google Tag Manager - Marketing uses this to be able to update site tags outside of releases