• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

March Contest - Win a Nexus 9 Tablet

Got Google Apps knowledge?
Prove it and win. Share your insights on migrating to Google Apps, tricks to increase efficiency, uncommon features that are useful for everyday tasks, and more.

Contribute to the Google Apps topic area in February to be entered to win a new Nexus 9 tablet.
Details: http://blog.experts-exchange.com/ee-blog/show-google-apps-knowledge-win-nexus-9/
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (9)

Expert Comment

serialband2015-02-14 11:21 AMID: 145009
Good luck to anyone that's already close to at least halfway to 30000 points in the topic for the month!  With so few questions in the topic area, it must be only a handful.  Those that are already helpful in the topic area deserve to win.

Seems like a very selective contest.  The topic area is too sparse and doesn't really have or need lots of participants.  It's already mostly predetermined based on the current participants that answer the topic.  New participants aren't going to reach required 30000 points minimum without a larger pool of questions available or they have spend all day being first to answer with the correct solutions or post lots of articles and videos.  There's also no need for thousands of articles and videos by hundreds of people on the same topic.

Here's a suggestion for future contests:
Don't just use the highest point total, if you want to get more people to participate and retain them.  It would be a better contest if you randomly select participants that reach a certain number of points.  Give participants bonus entries for reaching certain achievable milestones, such as 10 extra entries for top score and 5 extra for 2nd place, 3 extra for 3rd and 1 extra for each point arbitrary point level reached, based on the category's typical monthly points.  Don't make it solely based on total points.  It pollutes the topic pool.  Give everyone a fair chance at winning even if they can't spend all day on EE because of work and life.

Expert Comment

Gareth Gudger2015-02-14 03:00 PMID: 145021
@Mel... I know how to spell Google.

Expert Comment

Vitor Montalv√£o2015-02-16 12:19 AMID: 145102
I can only see this contest as a way to get more Experts to Google topics area.
Will wait for a contest in SQL Server area :)

Good luck.

Author Comment

Uni Kitty2015-02-16 08:07 PMID: 145180
Hi Serialband, thanks for the feedback. I'm exploring ways to encourage content in areas that are less active but also important topics to help attract new users to our site.  I'm new to this kind of thing and exploring different ways to encourage participation that gains more content in these areas and gives away cool prizes. I really want to see people excited to win and feeling confident that they have a chance to win if they have the expertise for the topic we're running the contest for that month. Your feedback is extremely helpful!

Expert Comment

Gareth Gudger2015-02-17 07:41 AMID: 145309
Maybe one way is to take the total points for the topic and each experts contribution to those points is their percentage of entries into a drawing.

Or maybe you got 1 sweepstakes entry for each 10k points? 10 entries for 100k points, etc. Then a random draw on those entries.

Author Comment

Uni Kitty2015-02-17 09:05 AMID: 145313
Yeah I was discussing that idea with my team here @Gareth, like using entries for a certain amount of points. You guys rock! Thanks for all the advice. I feel so supported. :)

You're going to encourage folks to enter this month's contest right? ;0)