• California,
  • United States

Top Contributors

Highlight pending removal quesitons by the asker

This does not happen often but sometimes when going though some older "open" questions the Asker has either already found their own solution or they are closing the quesiton for whatever reason. Just wondering if it is worth highlighting these pending closed questions so we are not wasting time looking at them.

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Thoughts?

Will.
View Previous CommentsLoad All Comments (12)

Expert Comment

it_saige2015-02-17 01:38 PMID: 145346
@Rich - I currently have my search set to include Questions with a status of Open.Capture.JPG-saige-

Author Comment

Will Szymkowski2015-02-17 01:42 PMID: 145347
@SimonAdept
I've clicked thru into a few of these questions from my notifications list. Minor annoyance when in 'every second counts' mode, but it is only a few seconds wasted to load the page and then dismiss it.

I usually read the entire question (sometimes can be long) and by the time i get to the bottom it is closed. I guess this is more of an annoyance but it would be a nice feature imo.

@Rich
I love that you've asked the question
Thanks!

Will.

Expert Comment

Netminder2015-02-17 01:55 PMID: 145351
I don't have a dog in this melee, but here's a perspective.

When someone tries to delete his question, it takes four days AND the participants have time to object -- but the question is still not "answered", at least to the apparent satisfaction of the Asker. To me, that means it's fair game. I'm entirely sympathetic to not wanting to ready through 17 Expert comments that say "You can't do that" while the Asker insists that "there must be a way" -- but since an objection in such a circumstance means we'll get involved, I worry less about that. Same thing when he tries to close accepting his own comment as the answer; there's a delay of four days.

Having said that, I wouldn't have an issue with being able to filter out those questions that have a pending action -- even if an objection had been filed (which essentially stops the action from actually occurring, unless the Asker then actually closes the question by awarding ONLY to the Experts).

N

Expert Comment

Rich Weissler2015-02-17 02:00 PMID: 145353
@it_saige, I usually use either 'open' or 'awaiting expert response'... and I could write separate queries for neglected questions, but if they were automagically highlighted in red!
QuestionsI mean, I can guess that the question from 2/12 is neglected because it doesn't have any comments on it, and it's five days old.  But if I was going to highlight anywhere, it'd be in this view or the detailed view... it's be great to be able to see if a question was marked 'pending closed', or 'abandoned', or 'neglected' just by color.  Not critical, but a nice to have.

(When I first read the original post, I was thinking it should apply to questions where the original asker has found an answer, and even posted the answer... then abandoned the question.  Not much to answer to put out there than, "Umm... dude.  Close the question?" or maybe click request assistance.)

Expert Comment

it_saige2015-02-17 02:22 PMID: 145355
@Rich - I can definitely agree with that.  Would it be a good idea for EE to add a status/state column with some sort of marker to show Neglected vs. New vs. Requested Attention vs. Abandoned (etc. etc.)

Not to get off topic but speaking of Abandoned questions.  How are the clean-ups of these handled?  I just went through my search (which looks for open questions with any active over the last year, excluding solutions accepted) and I find one that was originally opened in 2008 with the last meaningful response being in 2009 (although an administrative comment was made to remove inappropriate links in September of 2014).

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Personal_Electronics/Cell_Phones/Q_23748879.html

-saige-

Expert Comment

Shaun Kline2015-02-18 08:46 AMID: 145516
The monitored questions page has something like this, where the first column shows a somewhat good status (with icon) of the question: Accepted, Admin Comment, Expert Comment, Author Comment. If that column could be brought over to the search results, plus icons for neglected/abandoned, that would be a useful improvement.