Top Contributors

Broke past the half-marathon distance!

Just had to provide a run report and say that I broke past the half-marathon distance for the first time yesterday! Not only did I break it, but I accidentally ended up smashing it :-D

You see, the full marathon training plan I'm doing had me set for doing 15 miles, but I hadn't really planned out a detailed route beforehand. I was just going to run around town, along various stretches that I've done before, and keep track of the distance via my iPhone. Unfortunately at one point, I underestimated the distance on a particular loop that I set out on, and that lead towards getting much farther away from my end point than I had expected.

And that's how my 15 mile run became a 17 mile run!!

I certainly didn't intend to go 4 miles beyond my furthest distance ever, and I was definitely feeling more sore than I have in a long time. But it was great to know that now I've only got to increase my distance by 9 miles over the next two months, instead of increasing by 11 miles ;-)

What about the rest of you? Ever accidentally run much more than you intended?

Expert Comment

Uni Kitty2015-03-03 01:28 PMID: 147253
Wow! That's crazy and awesome all bundled into one! You must be feeling ultra proud of your accomplishment, not to mention "feeling" the accomplishment in your muscles. Can't wait to hear about your next record breaker.

Author Comment

Brian Matis2015-03-12 05:37 PMID: 148414
Thanks, Melly! Yeah, it was definitely inspiring to get further than I had thought I could, but my legs were definitely feeling it for the next few days. My arms too... Actually, it was the first time I've ever run so much that even my arms were sore!

And hey, didn't you get into double-digits last weekend?

Expert Comment

Uni Kitty2015-03-12 08:08 PMID: 148415
I did! I made it to 10.58 miles. My goal was 11 miles and silly me, I was lamenting to my husband that I was disappointed in myself. But TEN POINT FIFTY EIGHT MILES!!??  It was hard, but it was good.  

Thanks for all the support and motivation Brian!

Author Comment

Brian Matis2015-03-13 10:09 AMID: 148475
That's great, Melly! Challenging goals can be good to have, because even if you don't quite get there, if you got close, then it means you still did something fantastic! I've had plenty of runs I had to cut short or take easier routes on than what I had planned.

Next time you have the 11 mile goal, I think you'll hit it :-)