Digital Essence is a web design & hosting company specialising in providing high quality websites, hosting packages, PHP & Perl programming as well as ECommerce & Wordpress development for the small to medium sized business.
Please website www.digitalessence.net for more information.
October 2004 – Present
• Systems Administrator for a typesetting company with a large online customer base including every large publishing house in the UK.
• Manage and support internal & external users, Active Directory, Group policies, WSUS server, Anti Virus/Firewall/Security as well as Desktop/Server support, Hardware and application troubleshooting.
• Currently migrating physical production servers over to virtual machines using VMware ESXi.
• Successfully researched and implemented new domain & storage system comprising multiple web, application, Domain controllers and Exchange servers with a SAN backbone over iSCSI and LTO3 tape Backups via Veritas Backup Exec on a robotic tape library.
• Project managed the implementation of a disaster recovery site with complete duplication of existing system.
• Accomplished in setting and meeting deadlines, planning and developing methods for
automating a range of business tasks.
University of Cambridge
July 2002 – July 2004
• Provided support network/servers, peripheral devices & helpdesk systems.
• Telephone/face to face support from initial call through to problem resolution.
• 2nd to 3rd level technical support.
• TCP/IP, networking/firewalls.
• Veritas backup Exec and IIS 5.
• Exchange configuration, mailbox setup, group policies.
• Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite as well as Sun Open Office.
• Experienced in Linux server admin (Apache/BIND/MySQL).
September 2001 – July 2002
• Network, desktop & user support for large company.
• Provided critical out-of-hours support for Unix cluster, modem bank and Oracle 8i databases for over 1000 mobile phone Top Up voucher EPOS machines.
• Systems Administration of Windows 2000 domain, Exchange servers, Active Directory & Group policies.
• Provided hardware & software support.
October 1999 – August 2001
• Administered Linux servers (COBALT & RED HAT).
• Managed Virtual hosting, DNS, Sendmail, Apache, TCP/IP.
• Desktop Support and user training.
July 1999 – October 1999
Short term contract working for the BBC Biology section of the ByteSize GCSE Revision guide for schools website.
• Solely responsible for the Biology section of the GCSE Revision guide for schools website.
• Added static & dynamic content to SSI pages and configuring Perl scripts for the interactive zone.
No Education Background shown
Napier University, Edinburgh
BSc Hons (2.1) , Biological Sciences, 1988 - 1992
1988 – 1992
Madras College, St. Andrews
1982 – 1988
Versatile and successful Systems/Storage Administrator with a wealth of technical skills acquired across a wide range of demanding roles with 15 years’ experience within the private and public sector.