The question I try to answer in every task I undertake is: "How can it be better?" The "it" can be virtually any aspect of the task--a phrase, an image, how the task is organized, workflow, processes, team dynamics, or external relationships.
In the past few years, I've focused on:
- managing document development and production for clients;
- designing well-organized, inclusive, accessible, student-centric courses for face-to-face and online/blended learning environments;
- training faculty and staff how to make their courses accessible and include Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles;
- leading a cohort of faculty and staff to apply, foster, and promote instructional design theories and methods in their own course development; and
- instructing students in various aspects of technical writing and design.
These efforts have been a natural extension of my background as a database developer (organizing information), technologist (tools), designer (visual structure), and technical communication practitioner.