How to read MSDOS-SCREEN under WinNT4 - W32 APP ?
Posted on 1997-03-26
I am trying to read the screen of an MS-DOS session ( 80x25 textmode ) under WINDOWS NT4 from a WIN32 application..
I took a look at the MSDN library for several hours and figured out the
1. start a little program in the MS-DOS session. This Program generates an GP-failure due to an unauthorized hardware access.
2. This GP-failure is handeled by a self-written VDD - dll.
The handler routine of the VDD knows the address of the MSDOS session and forwards this address to a ´normal´ kernel mode driver via DeviceIOControl.
3. Now a normal windows - application can use the kernel-mode driver to access the memory of the MS-DOS session (also via DeviceIOControl), because the kernel-mode driver knows the address of the MS-DOS session an has got full access to this memory-area (?).
I have got 2 questions:
1) Is there an easier way to access the MSDOS-Session via a WIN32 programm ?
2) If not - what do you think about my solution ? Can this work ?