I currently mange a network of 23 PC's run windows 95 and windows
3.11, with the server running on Novell 3.11. The PC's are connected
to the server in 2 daisy chains of thin ethernet coax to 2 network
cards in the server. All the network cards are 10Mbps cards.
What I am looking to do, due to company expansion, is completely
rewire the network with twisted pair with 100Mbps capacity and change
to NT. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with the
1. The total distance from the server to where the last PC will be
located will be approx 250m, therefore will I have to put in a
backbone of fibre optic cable to link the hubs as I believe that the
longest length of cat 5 cable between the hub and the PC is 100m. If I
have to put in the fibre optic backbone, how is it connected to the
hubs, is it a special connector and is it just a case of daisy
chaining the hubs together with a terminator on the last one and what
is the best grade of cable to use. Or could I just put in the backbone
using coax cable, If so what spec of the cable, is it just the same as
the thin ethernet cable and with a repeater at the 185m point. I also
want to keep the options for expansion open.
2. Would it improve the performance if I have 2 100Mbps cards in the
server and split the hubs between them or should I just have 1.
3. In a 100Mbps set-up is the signal split when it gets to the hub and
then to the required PC at a lower rate than 100Mbps, therefore there
being no benefit to changing the network cards in the PC's to 100Mbps,
or would I be better to change them as well to get the best
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for your quick reply
I think I will opt for daisy chaining the hubs using 100Mbit, with one 100Mbit card in the file server and putting 100Mbit network cards in the main users PC's and leaving the rest on 10Mbit with the upgrade option in the future. Could you please clarify a coupe of small points
1. The hubs I buy must be able to switch down the 100Mbit to 10Mbit for any PC that I have not installed a 100Mbit card and could I have some 100Mbit hubs and some 10Mbit hubs on the same backbone?
2. Will coax give me a 100Mbit backbone and what grade should I use i.e.. same spec as thin ethernet?